Thursday, September 22, 2011

Would YOU go back?

Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.


Today's question:


For adults: If you could go back to your teenage years, would you? And if so, would you do anything different?

For anyone still in high school: If you could wake up tomorrow and find one thing about being in high school different, what would it be? Or would you keep everything the same?

OUR ANSWERS

Sara: I would go back. In a heartbeat. As long as I could remember what I've learned along the way. One of the things I'd change? I wouldn't be intimidated by anyone who didn't deserve it. It's taken me SUCH a long time to realize that the only people who deserve it are the people whom I highly respect. Talented writers. Intelligent, kind people. NOT the mean girls who bully intimidation out of people. Yes. Yes, I would go back to change that one thing, among many others.

Karen: I'd go back in a heartbeat. But only with my current knowledge and wisdom in tact. I'd change the one night that has given me nightmares since I was 16. The night I lost a guy I loved very much in a car accident. In my do-over, I wouldn't let him drive. We'd stay at home and watch movies. I never stop wondering how my life, and his family's life, would be different if he had lived. Oh, and I'd write novels sooner. I'd stop telling myself I need umpteen more years of school to make a living at writing stories.

Alexandra: It might be simply that I haven't had enough distance from my teenage years, but right now I can't say that I would want to go back, even a little bit. I do know what I would do differently, and if I could write my teenage self a letter, I would tell that girl to value herself. I would say don't be friends with that group who treats you like you don't matter just because you don't think you're good enough for better friends. Don't date that boy just because he's the first person to show interest in you and you don't think any of the other boys could possibly ever want you. Wait for someone worthwhile who you actually like and who actually likes you for you--it's okay if you only have one friend in high school, or if you're 18 before you get your first kiss. You are worth far more than you give yourself credit for, and you should surround yourself with people who lift you up and support you, not who drag you down and make you feel so inadequate.

Cristin: NEVER NEVER NEVER. At least, not if I had to go back to my own personal high school experience. There is a reason I'm a YA writer who will never write about high school. I lived that misery once and have no desire to revisit it. Now, if I could live somewhere else and have some other high school life... maybe. But I was a forty-year-old trapped in a sixteen-year-old's body, so I'm not sure I'd have been happy or at ease with myself in any high school situation. Teenagers, you have my profound respect for what you go through. But don't worry, some day you'll get to grow up and be a well-adjusted sort-of-adult like me!!

Cambria: High school is something I'll always be thankful for because it proved to be one heck of a learning experience...but it's also something I'm not really keen on repeating. The whole thing was just awkward for me. My parents got divorced when I was in middle school so by the time I was a freshman, I was a new kid in a new state. I did things that Grown Up Me is still ashamed to admit...and I did those things all for the sake of fitting in. As wrong as some of it was, I also recognize that I had to make those mistakes in order to be the person I am now. I guess if I went back, I'd be too afraid I'd end up changing something that would screw up the Now. Haven't you ever seen Ashton Kutcher in The Butterfly Effect? Yeah. 'Nuff said.

Alison: I would not go back to teenage years, but if I got pushed into a plutonium-spiked Delorean that took me back to 1985, I would break out of my shy shell before going to college. And not use Sun-In on the hair. And...yeah, that's it.


By the way--did you know there's an entire site dedicated to writers who've written letters to their teen selves? DearTeenMe.com is pretty much amazing. The letters are heartfelt and inspirational--you should definitely check it out.


YOUR TURN!

Would you go back? We can't wait to read your answers

:)
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved