Thursday, October 20, 2011

Book-to-Movie Adaptations

Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:

What's your favorite book-to-movie adaptation?

Our answers:

Cambria: My favorite book-to-movie adaptation is Twilight. I mean, the cinematography is amazing and really captures Stephanie Myer's metaphorical mastery -- Haha. Just kidding. (No offense all you Twihards!) Seriously, though, my favorite would be William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet, the one with Leonardo DiCaprio (swoooon) and Claire Danes. That movie came out when I was in high school and I remember being mildy -- ok -- MAJORLY obsessed with it. The movie really turned me onto Bill Shakes and I went through a whole phase of reading his plays and sonnets and dissecting the meaning behind the words (I even landed the part of Hermia in A Midsummer Night's Dream!).

Sara: BBC's Pride & Prejudice miniseries!! Cristin just introduced me to this one last week. And we watched the entire thing in one day, while we were supposed to be writing. I mean, of course we got some writing done, but HELLO, COLIN FIRTH. I've liked him forever, but now? Love. Love, love, love. *swoon*

Copil: First thing that comes to mind is To Kill A Mockingbird. There's a moment in the movie where Bob Ewell confronts Atticus Finch in front of his own home. In the book, I remember a page or two of increasingly tense dialogue between the two men ending with Atticus making it clear he won't be intimidated. The movie dispenses with much of the dialogue but Gregory Peck as Atticus manages to convey the same rising intensity by taking one menacing step towards James Anderson's Bob. It's a simple, powerful, non-melodramatic action that speaks volumes and proves to me that what you DON'T include is sometimes as important as what you do.

A close second is the film adaptation of the Noble Prize-Winning novel The Human Centipede. Seriously, that movie really captured what it's like to be connected mouth to--how's that? We're out of time? Oh.

Karen: New Moon. Ha. Kidding. I mean, really, how many times did Kristen Stewart do that awkward breathing/shudder thing?

I have a lot of adult movies but I'm going to choose a YA book. I'm showing my age here but Flowers in the Attic. This book creeped me out and made me cry when I read it as a teenager, and although some details were wrong in the movie, it still had the creep factor and made me cry. Plus, the mother played the role of crazy and evil so well.

Alexandra: My favorite is Howl's Moving Castle. Book by Diana Wynne Jones, movie by Hayao Miyazaki.

Alison: While I'm not a huge fan of book-to-movie adaptations, there are two (and maybe...maybe a few others) that qualify as favorites.

First, The Great Gatsby - one of my favorite books EVER. And if the movie didn't live up, I was too blinded by my love for Gatsby to notice. I LOVED Robert Redford as Jay Gatsby so I'm super curious (and equally excited) to see the remake in 2012 with Leo DiCaprio.

Second, The Outsiders. Growing up, my room was wallpapered in Brat Pack, I was the president of the C. Thomas Howell fan club, and I still refuse to see the new Karate Kid on principal that Ralph Macchio's not in it. So OF COURSE I watched The Outsiders (um...a lot). Funny though. I never read the book until this past summer. LOVED IT. Brought back so many memories and made me want to break out all my eighties movies.

Cristin: Everybody else is joking, but I do genuinely think the Twilight film improved upon the book! The action plot with James and Victoria is paced way better, you see Bella and Edward getting to know each other and having normal conversations, Bella's classmates are actually cool and interesting, and there's more humor to balance out all the angst. SO TAKE THAT, GUYS.

But I think my favorite book-to-movie adaptation is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I can think of a lot of adaptations where I loved the movie but wasn't crazy about the book and vice-versa, but PoA is the only example I can think of where I really love both book and film equally. (I also happen to think Prisoner of Azkaban is the best of the books AND of the movies). It's the most successful adaptation in my eyes because the movie gives me a new, different view on the story without compromising it in its essential or leaving me missing something.

Your turn!!

Happy Thursday :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved