Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Boys We Love to Read



Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.


To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:

To go in line with Copil's fabulous manly guest post on Monday, let's talk YA male characters. Who is the most authentic feeling YA male character you've read in a book? (I don't mean love interest--although if he falls into that category, it's fine!)

Our answers:

ALEXANDRA: I can't seem to get enough Holly Black. The character Corny in Tithe and Ironside has to be the most authentic teen boy I've read in a long time. He's a great mix of gawky and acerbic, awkward because he's not totally sure of himself, but at the same time he knows what he wants. Though he's a supporting character, he does a lot of growing and a lot of learning, and he stands out in my mind.

KAREN: Rownan from Tangled Tides. ;) FTW! No seriously, ummmmmm, Alex Fuentes from Perfect Chemistry. He was a great mix of bad ass and sweetheart. His interactions with his family and friends felt very authentic to me and he wasn't TOO perfect. Muy caliente! 

ALISON: I'm going to break the rules and pick two (because if I have to decide between them, I might cry). First, Adam Wilde from Where She Went (Gayle Forman). The whole story's from his POV, and I don't think I've ever read anything so powerful and emotional and REAL.  And just so you know - when I finished reading this book in June, I read the awesomeness that is Divergent, and then I don't know how many other fabulous novels. And even after swooning over the likes of Four and Alex Fuentes, I am STILL wild about Adam Wilde—like I can’t get this guy, this book out of my head. STILL.

And then I read Boy Toy (Barry Lyga) and GAH! While Josh Mendel does normal guy things, his mind works SO differently and he's had way different experiences than most of his friends, but his reactions and emotions were incredibly REAL. I just read this book back in September, but I have a feeling Josh Mendel will be in my head for a long time.

CRISTIN: At first it was hard for me to answer this question, because I realized just how few male protagonists I've read about lately. Going back a bit, my pick is Todd from Patrick Ness' Chaos Walking trilogy. But not because he's an "authentic guy." He's just an authentic character who happens to be male, and I think that's key to why he's such a vivid and memorable character for me. Honorable mentions to, like, every John Green protagonist. (Ooh, just realized those are both male authors. I wonder if that has to do with it?)

SARA: Okay, well Alison totally stole mine with Adam... BUT thankfully I've got a few favorites to choose from! So last week a ton of commenters mentioned The Book Thief for its amazing prose--and as I'm a sucker for amazing prose, I read it immediately. And Rudy SteinerOh my gosh, Rudy. With lemon-colored hair and bony knees, he's always hungry (starving), very athletic, and not afraid of girls. He can be a total smart ass and is rebellious and... I mean, I could just go on and on. But really, the same could be said of all of Markus Zusak's characters. Similar to what Cristin said, it's not because Rudy's an "authentic guy," he's an authentic character. With a fully developed story and history all his own. 

(Also, I'd be remiss not to mention Matt Gratton from Don Calame's Swim the Fly. He comes complete with fart jokes and vomiting and all sorts of deliciously awkward and realistic boy-girl moments.)

Your turn!

And happy Thursday :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved