Thursday, October 6, 2011

Prose that makes you go: ahhhh

Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.


To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:

Let's chat writing. The kind that guides you through a story with such beautiful prose that the words themselves become absolutely integral to your pleasure while reading the story. What book have YOU read recently in which the prose itself has made you sigh with bliss?

Our answers:

CRISTIN: Lauren Oliver is one of those writers whose way with words makes me want to throw my laptop off a bridge, so my pick has to be her newest, Liesl and Po (even though it's actually middle-grade, shh). It gave me a happy-sad ache the entire time I was reading it, largely because of lines like this:

"She liked the word ineffable because it meant a feeling so big or vast that it could not be expressed in words. And yet, because it could not be expressed in words, people had invented a word to express it, and that made Liesl feel hopeful, somehow."

SARA: Hands down, my answer is Chime, by Frannie Billingsley. Her prose twists and curls like ribbons. Beautiful, winding ribbons that dance around and twine into each other,  becoming an element of the story all its own. Seriously, you could read me a random line off of one of the pages, and I bet 10 out of 10 times I'd be able to tell you it's from Chime. The prose has an almost fairytale feel: magical and gorgeous. I could have flown through this book from start to finish, because it's just that good as it is, but I didn't. Because I wanted to savor every sentence.

KAREN: The Sky is Everywhere. Jandy Nelson is my Shakespeare--except much easier to understand.

ALISON: I don't want to sound like a broken eight track (wait - am I dating myself?!), but since Karen STOLE mine ;), I'll go with Perfect by Ellen Hopkins. The woman's a genius. Her writing is beautiful, stylistic, yet so gritty and raw at the same time. My eyes dance along the page to the music of her words. Sometimes light, like I could fly on each character's high, other times her words are forte and allegro, eliciting so many FEELINGS - anger, frustration. Sadness. And yet other times her words evoke a chilling silence, like that eerie calm before a devastating catastrophe. My experience with her stories is akin to one of those uh-mazing lyrical numbers from So You Think You Can Dance - the ones that cause Mary to scream and Nigel to stand and applaud, long after the audience settles. The one that's so beautiful, yet so heart-wrenching at the same time.

She's MY Shakespeare. I think I anticipate the next Ellen Hopkins for the poetic prose just as much as I do for the story itself.

ALEXANDRA: Holly Black manages to perfectly match the dangerous and wicked quality of her urban faeryland with her prose. She goes a long way with a few words--the world in Tithe is all the more real because the writing has an edge to it. I think few authors can capture so well the mood and ambiance of the world they mean to create with words themselves, but at this Holly Black is a master.

CAMBRIA: I'm going to say Nova Ren Suma's Imaginary Girls. Her writing is beautiful and lyrical and so hauntingly expressive. I always found myself staring at the cover and just sighing. 


Your turn!


And happy Thursday :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved