Wednesday, November 23, 2011

All The Mermaids Are Talking About It

On Friday something awesome is happening! Our wonderful operative Karen Hooper's book TANGLED TIDES will be released! We're all so happy and so proud of her. So the only thing it makes sense for me to talk about today is TANGLED TIDES!

Since this is undercover Wednesday, I went undercover (read: searched on Wikipedia) and did some research on all the creatures that show up in TANGLED TIDES.

Karen's merfolk are accompanied by selkies, sirens, and gorgons, and there's some seriously cool mythology in the book. Everyone's probably heard a bit about each of these creatures, but there's a lot I bet you didn't know. In the original legend, sirens are actually seductive bird women--not mermaids or something like mermaids. And gorgon blood can be fatal or can have healing properties. If you want to keep a selkie as a lover, you have to steal his or her skin. But selkies don't do well without their skins, and you might end up killing your lover instead.

If you think that's cool, you should wait until you see the twists and spins Karen put on the mythology. It's seriously good stuff.

And I don't know if you knew this, but all the mermaids are really excited to read TANGLED TIDES. Especially because mermaids don't actually wear seashell bras (how uncomfortable!) and they're glad Karen got it right in her book.

I went forward in time (sorry, can't loan out my time machine. "Borrowed" it from H.G. Wells) and followed them around on Friday even though I don't like to get my hair wet when I swim, and recorded their experience in this very scientific manner you see below. I wanted to get them in their natural habitat. Did you know that mermaids have access to Amazon? I had no idea!

Clicky clicky to make bigger.

Note to self: water + book = disaster. (I made that comic as a present. I hope it's not TOO embarrassing... It's so hard to give gifts over the internet! I also hope no mermaids take offense.)

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the TANGLED TIDES book trailer. Karen MADE this. I'm still in awe at how complex it is.



And don't forget to come back on Friday! We'll be having a giveaway and you could win a copy of TANGLED TIDES!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved