Monday, November 14, 2011

Real Teen Answers, Re: Life

On Friday, you asked. And today, our teen spies and analysts answer! (They're covering teen life now, and books tomorrow!)

* * *

Do you follow news and current events? If so, how (broadcast news, social media, etc)? Do you talk about that with friends?

Katie: A.Yes I try to keep up with the major news stories.
B.I use social media, T.V., and news websites
C.I do talk to friends about it, but rarely. I mainly do it for classes that require me to give a verbal presentation once a week on a news story and quote.

Lynsay: Yes I definitely follow current events. Usually I hear about them from watching the news, facebook, or internet news. My friends and I usually discuss our different opinions about them and the different details we heard.

Lennon: No, we write about them enough in school that we don't talk about them that much. There are some exceptions however, like when Bin Laden got killed. We about had a freaking party.

Laura: Sure. I skim the local newspaper every day, mostly to see what events are happening in town or what movies are playing, and watch the news on TV every night when we’re cooking dinner.

Alyssa: If you consider finding things out through social media networking “following the news,” then yes, I definitely do. I find out a lot through Facebook and Twitter, and sometimes I’ll watch the 6 o’clock news before dinner to stay connected. Really, though, I mostly hear the news from my parents, because me and my friends don’t really talk about that kind of stuff.

Gracie: Yes! I do follow news and current events, and I know a lot of people in my classes do too. Usually I read the newspaper, but I think the majority of teens would get news information off the internet. Some of my friends I talk about current events, especially big events that can sometimes spark debate, but other friends are not interested in that stuff at all. I definitely am, though. I think it’s important to know what’s going on around you, and I know other teens think the same.

Erica: It really depends on the event, but overall I would say no unless it is a huge event. I generally just find myself doing other things.


How often do your friends confide in you with really serious issues/problems about home/parents or health-wise like anorexia? Or any type of abuse?

Lynsay: I have only experienced this once, and that was when the abuse had already stopped and they were telling me about how it used to be.

Lennon: It depends on the friend. My best friend talks about anything, whenever. My friends trust me so when they need someone to talk to you, they do but like over the phone or privately, so others don't overhear. Or my friends like me, are like open books. So when something is wrong, you know.

Alyssa: My close friends and I discuss our home lives and other issues as serious as those. We don’t necessarily plan to talk about these things, but if I ever need support or just someone to listen, I have a number of friends I could go to. Sometimes, when we’re all together, we’ll just let go and talk about what’s been going on in our lives.

Katie: In high school no one has confided in me with me with serious things, mainly because I’m in a group of kids right now who I know don’t have those problems/issues. In middle school I had two very close friends who confided in me about their home life and some of the abuse they were going through. So it does happen.

Laura: I have a handful of friends that I’m super close to, almost like sisters, but we never really talk about our issues/problems. It’s not that we don’t want to or don’t feel comfortable doing it; we just…don’t talk about them. Okay, we may briefly mention stuff that’s happening at home or in our personal lives, but never in too much detail. We’d rather focus on happier stuff. Of course, if one of us were suffering from a problem that may endanger ourselves or others, we’d definitely confide in each other.

Erica: When it happens, my friends usually confide in me.


Are these problems something you tend to pick up on about your friends without them telling you about it, and then just sort of ignore because you don't want to make them feel bad? Or do you openly ask if they need to talk about something that seems to be off?

Alyssa: In my relationships with my close friends, we can all pick up when something’s wrong. Usually, what’ll happen is that we’ll notice something’s wrong, wait a day or two to see if their peculiar behaviour is lasting, and then we’ll talk to them. We know that we all have our off days, so we usually feel them out for a while before approaching them, this way also giving them the chance to come to us if they want to. But, I should probably mention that my friends and I are pretty keen when it comes to picking up on other people’s feelings. I know many kids who are completely oblivious to how their friend may be hurting, so it may just depend on the relationships between people.

Lennon: I naturally pick things up about people. I normally ignore it because I think everyone deserves privacy but if it gets to a point where something is really wrong with them, I'll ask about it in private.

Lynsay: If I sensed a problem I would definitely ask them, however if they didn't want to talk about it, I would not push it. I would just be there for them if they ever decided to talk about it.

Katie: I openly ask if I feel something is wrong. If they don’t want to tell me I don’t push.

Erica: Yes I can pick up on it, usually I say something and ask if they need to talk if I notice it, but that isn’t a real common thing.


Do teens still tell each other: Don't get your panties in a bunch? If not, then what would they say (boys) that would be equally insulting?

Laura: Being an Aussie gal, the only thing similar we’d say is: Don’t get your knickers in a knot. But I haven’t heard anyone under the age of 30 say that in, oh, ten years maybe? Also, I don’t find either phrase particularly insulting. I’d just laugh.

Katie: A. No, teens do not say that.
B. I honestly don’t know an answer to that. I try not to insult boys, and I don’t hang out with kids who are constantly insulting people.

Alyssa: I’ve heard that line before (many times, actually), but only from people who say it jokingly, to mock past generations. Something equally insulting? “Get that stick out of your ass” or “You’re too uptight, loosen up” – more common phrases, definitely.

Lennon: No, not that I know of. My friend says "Who pissed in your Cheerios?" which is kind of insulting but not that. It really depends on the person. How mean they are, and what they think is too far.

Lynsay: I'm sure some people still say that, but honestly I think now it would be something more like "Chill out" or something to that effect, including some form of "chilling."

Erica: Yes – I still hear that phrase.

Gracie: I haven’t ever heard a teen say “don’t get your panties in a bunch” and honestly I don’t think I know what you mean by saying that it’s insulting? I thought it meant like, don’t worry so much, or calm down.

* * *

Thanks again, so much, to our amazing teen spies and teen analysts! 

And tomorrow they're back again, to answer the remaining questions about BOOKS! What's overdone, what do they love, what makes them roll their eyes???


PS. On the off chance you haven't seen this yet... Watch it and don't tear up. I dare you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved