Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Best Books of 2011

Wow. So this is our last Vault post until 2012! Crazy, right? Where did this year go? (No, I'm serious. If you have the answer, fill me in!)

Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:

What's the best book you read in 2011 and why?

source
Alexandra: The best book I read in 2011 was Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel. Reasons outlined in my fangirl gush of a review. ;) (Review!)

Alison: Difficult choice, much? This year I read the awesomeness that is Divergent, Where She Went, Beauty Queens, Shatter Me, The Sky is Everywhere…SO MANY. But, I also read The Hunger Games. And that will win the “best” prize every time.

Cristin: I suspect this is going to be a popular opinion, but my favorite book of 2011 was probably The Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Gorgeous writing and super original premise, and it lingered with me for a long time after finishing it. That said, my favorite reads of 2011 were the Queen's Thief books by Megan Whalen Turner, which have been out for ages but were new to me. I inhaled the four currently out in a couple of days and felt bereft when I finished the latest, A Conspiracy of Kings. Nothing could console me. I can tell they're going to be frequent re-reads for me.

Cambria: So. Hard. I mean, this question seriously PAINS me because there are just too many! Ok...the book I want to say I've already used twice before in previous answers, so I'm going to go a different route and pick Divergent by Veronica Roth. This book. Man, this book is EXCITING and FAST and COMPLEX and VISCERAL. After I finished reading it, I seriously contemplated picking it right back up and reading it all over again (but it's a doorstop of a book and my daughter was hungry...so priorities, yanno).

Copil: Feed by M. T. Anderson. This book had me at “dystopian, high-tech satire.” And yet, what stands out most is how accurately Anderson captures the behavior of a decent but self-absorbed teen guy. Time and again, given the choice between simple apologies to make things right or silent withdrawal that results in heartbreak, the main character opts for the latter. My teen self called, he wants his highlights reel back.

Sara: Super hard to choose because I read a ton of amazeballs books this year. But I'm going to go with The Book Thief by Mark Zusak. Not only was this the best book I read all year, but I read it because YOU, our YA Con commenters, recommended it to me based of its amazing prose. And wow. You guys are fabulous at recommending books. <3 The prose is gorgeous, there's no denying it (you guys were absolutely right on), but I ended up with so. much. more. While enjoying the words, I accidentally fell in love with the characters. Though their stories ended with the book, I think they'll stay alive for me for a long, long time.

Karen: Daughter of Smoke and Bone. The world Laini Taylor created was beautiful, magical, and mysteriously wicked at times. I read the book months ago, but I still find myself looking at doors on streets and wondering where they might lead. And I will never view teeth the same way again.

Your turn!

I'll catch you in 2012 :)

Or, you know... in THREE DAYS. 

Seriously.

This year = flew by.

:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved