Thursday, December 22, 2011

Buzz-worthy Reads

Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:

What book have you LOVED that hasn't gotten a lot of buzz? And how did you hear about it?

Source
Our Answers: 

Sara: Do you like to laugh? Unless you answered no (and in that case, really?) then Swim the Fly by Don Calame is absolutely a must read. Three boys (none of whom have ever even asked a girl out), one summer, one shared goal: See a real-live naked girl for the first time. I cracked up on every page and wish it was about twice as long because I so didn't want the story to end. The book was recommended to me at dinner during a conference. We went around the table and everyone listed a book they'd recently loved. It's been one of my favorite things to do at conferences ever since!

Alison: Boy Toy by Barry Lyga. It didn’t come out this year, and it may have gotten buzz when it did hit the shelves, but I only heard about it through a friend’s recommendation, and WOW. I have an affinity for male protagonists and authentic, powerful male voices. This book not only has that, but also a hugely compelling story. It’s a MUST READ. Trust me.

Karen: Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn mindjacked me into staying up all night, flipping the pages to see what would happen next. Quinn's near-future where everyone reads minds felt so realistic and really made me think--if I could actually control other people, how far would I take it? 

Alexandra: I don't think Catherine Fisher's Oracle trilogy has received NEARLY enough buzz. It starts with The Oracle Betrayed, and it's set in a world that's based on ancient Egypt with a little bit of ancient Greece thrown in, too. The protagonist is a shy girl named Mirany who realizes that she can hear their culture's god instead of the priestess whose job it is to communicate with the god. I discovered the first book years ago, when I was still in high school, just by browsing at Barnes and Noble. People know Catherine Fisher for writing Incarceron (which is also a fantastic book!) and I hope all the buzz that Incarceron is getting prompts some people to pick up other Fisher novels as well!

Cambria: There are seriously TOO many books that haven't gotten the buzz they deserve. Like, waaaay too many. (And I also want to add that it seems like a lot of these books are contemporary books which totally breaks my heart because I LOVE contemporary YA.) To make it simple, I looked at my book shelf and pulled out the first one that caught my eye that didn't get as much buzz as I would've liked -- Hold Still by Nina LaCour. This book is contemporary and quiet, but has characters that are so clearly drawn you want to be friends with them instantly. And the writing! It's poetic and beautiful, but totally accessible...Hold Still is the kind of book I want to write and Nina LaCour is the kind of YA writer I want to be. GO CHECK IT OUT and look for Nina's next book, The Disenchantments, coming out February 2012!

Cristin: Right now I'm loving StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce, which I heard about on Bookshelves of Doom. I really enjoyed Bunce's first book A Curse Dark As Gold and (like a lot of people) somehow missed StarCrossed's existence until now. It's a shame, because it's a great read! Feisty teenaged spy in disguise, political intrigue, nobles snowbound in a castle with a traitor in their midst, all very good stuff. The sequel recently came out, so as a promotion, they're selling the Kindle version for only $2.99. You should all get it!

Copil: Bushman Lives by Daniel Pinkwater. It's a Pinkwater, so it's not likely to get lost in the crowd. But it might not be on everyone's radar yet because it's not available at your favorite indie bookstore. In fact, it's not available anywhere. . .except here: www.bushmanlives.com. That's right, you can read the serialized version online FOR FREE! I heard about it on twitter where it was mentioned by his agent, Jennifer Laughran (@literaticat).

Your turn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved