Thursday, December 1, 2011

COVER LOVERS

Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:

What's one of your favorite YA book covers and why?

Our answers:

Alexandra: The cover of Burn Bright by Marianne de Pierres. It's chaotic and beautiful and dark, and lets fantasy-snob me know that there will be magic and adventure in this book without even having to read the back. If I could dream of the perfect cover for one of my own novels, this artist (Jaroslaw Kubicki) would be the person who did the image.

Sara: So this is kinda cheating, because The Night Circus is technically an adult read--BUT I know it's been marketed to young adults as well, so there. *sticks out tongue* Seriously, though. LOOK at it. You had me at the splash of red. Even before I knew the name of Le Cirque des RĂªves, I was completely intrigued by the circus.

Karen: Tangled Tides. Because it's MY cover. Of course it's my favorite of all time. ;)

Alison: Why? This cover is hilarious. And the story? Even funnier. I haven’t LOLed so much since Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I would not have picked Beauty Queens up had it not been for the cover, and it was truly one of the best books I read this year.

Copil: The original 1973 version of John Bellairs' The House with a Clock in its Walls is still one of my favorites! NO, I was NOT old enough to read it when it came out. How very dare you! I mean, yes, it was well before ebooks and Amazon and in those days you had to share your books with 10,000 strangers and you just hoped you were early enough in the distribution that you didn't end up with a bunch of out-of-order pages all rubber-banded together with mysterious stains on EVERY PAGE! But it was all part of the charm of reading. This was before eyes. Anywho, the 1973 version of Clock had a cover illustration by Edward Gorey who, if you don't know him, was an AMAZEBALLS illustrator with a dark edge and a wicked sense of humor. His cover was perfectly creepy and really set the mood for a wonderful book about a boy who discovers his uncle is a wizard living in a house with a clock ticking down to the end of the world. The very definition of awesome blossom. True. Look it up.

Cambria: So many choices! But I'm going to have to go with Courtney Summers' This Is Not a Test, which doesn't even come out until next summer. Why do I love it? ATMOSPHERE. You look at the cover and you immediately know it's going to be dark (as if the author's name doesn't already give that away -- I mean, Courtney Summers is my all-time fave dark/edgy contemporary YA author). It's going to be scary. See that blood splatter? Dexter Morgan would be ALL OVER this cover! And the cover has MOVEMENT. The hair. The neck. I can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy!!!

Cristin: One of my favorite covers is a recent one, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. It's so evocative and really stands out against the other books on the shelf, but it's also very simple. And I love the ambiguity of it, how the male figure in the photograph could be rescuing the girl or dragging her down, which is very fitting for the novel. There aren't a lot of book covers that I would hang on my wall, but this is one of them!





Your turn!!


***Agent Cutta Mutha here interrupting your regularly scheduled program to announce the WINNERS of our NaNo critique giveaway which we first announced here!*** 

 And the winners are...

10-page critique from Agent Cutta Mutha:
tmpmarkmajor

10-page critique from Agent Saradise:
Lyla Lee

10-page critique from Agent Special K:
Anne Marie

10-page critique from Agent A:
Riv Re

10-page critique from Agent The Black Wiggle:
Nila Dubovsky

10-page critique from Agent C:
Eflaaen

10-page critique from Agent Fem Fatale:
aretenike


Congratulations to all the winners and hats off to all who participated in NaNoWriMo this year and/or supported someone who participated! If you're a critique winner, please email us for further instructions on claiming your prize.


***And now back to your regularly scheduled program!***

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved