Monday, December 19, 2011

Quadruple Teen Interview Part 2 (On Cliques, Drugs, Bullying, Sex...)

We started YA Confidential with one thing in mind: All things teen, all the time. To stay on task with that goal, we'll frequently interview teens to gauge their thoughts on books and life. To read more, check out our past teen interviews!

Last week, I teamed up with Mr. Matthew MacNish (someone I'm sure you all know--and if not, check out his fabulous blog! And twitter!) and his daughters and their friends. This is the second part of our teen interview. If you missed part one, you can read it right here


Name: Nikki
Age: 15
Sex: F
Location: GA

Name: Alex
Age: 15
Sex: M
Location: GA

Name: Abbie
Age: 15
Sex: F
Location: GA

Name: Kylie
Age: 15
Sex: Female
Location: Georgia
On Cliques

Do you encounter many cliques at school? Inclusive? Exclusive? Nice? Mean?

Abbie: All of the above. I’m part of the musician clique which is extremely inclusive and protective.

Nikki: All types. I’m not associated with any. Cause they’re dumb.

Alex: Sometimes.

Kylie: Of course there are cliques, why bother asking? Human nature hasn’t changed since you were a teen.


On Drugs

How common is drinking?

Nikki: Very, people even drink on the bus.

Alex: I don't know.

Kylie: Very. I dated a teen alcoholic.

Abbie: For me personally, never. Around me, often.

What about drugs? (And, if so, which types?)

Kylie: Marijuana.

Abbie: In my community, yes. Me? Never!

Alex: Very--marijuana.

Nikki: That too. Pot and inhalants.


On Bullying

How common is bullying? In real life? Online? How do other people react to it?

Abbie: Bullying is extremely common. Definitely in real life, not really online. People react badly to it. I was bullied repeatedly last year & I thought about suicide.

Kylie: Very common.

Nikki: Very very common. Personally I block it out, still hurts though.


On Sex

If you’re comfortable, tell us about what you hear, or know about sex as a teen? (Don’t worry! You don’t have to tell us anything personal here, generalized is fine—and, actually, preferred.)

Alex: I hear it happens and people usually either regret it, love it, or don’t know about it.

Kylie: Girls talk mostly about oral sex. Guys make a LOT of gay sex jokes.

Abbie: I just know that people around me are sexually active & I hear about it on a daily basis. Other than that, I tend to limit my sexual knowledge to health class instruction.

Nikki: I hear lots of people talk about it, mostly girls and when they talk about it, it’s really gross.


Okay, so wow. There you have it. The concluding half of our quadruple teen interview. I want to thank Nikki, Abbie, Kylie, and Alex again for their time and their honesty. I know some of these topics aren't always easy to talk about. Seriously, you guys are awesome--and your input is invaluable. Come back anytime!

And thanks again to Matt, too, for helping me set this all up!!

:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved