Thursday, January 19, 2012

Deserted Island Books!!

Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:

What's your desert island book--the one you could read over and over again and never get sick of? 
Cambria: Mine's a twofer because I NEVER pack light, even for a deserted island. My adult book choice would be Outlander by Diana Gabaldon -- a sweeping, historical time travel epic love story? Um, yes please and don't forget to bring me my fruity umbrella drink with that! And my YA book choice would be Hunger Games because, well, it's the freaking Hunger Games and I don't think I could ever get sick of that book. EVER.

Copil: You mean besides a first edition hardback of Glint McHardscrabble's How to Survive on a Desert Island?! Ok, then I guess my second choice would be Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It includes all the fun and discovery of 1, 2 and 3 along with the scope and darkness of 5, 6 and 7. I think I could reread that for as long as it took them to find me and Wilson. WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Karen: Well, obviously the ideal situation is for me and Cambria to be stranded on the same island, because I would choose Outlander too. I could just borrow her book. My selection (which Cambria could borrow from me if she wanted) would be the complete collection of Lewis Carroll stories. I'd get Alice In Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, and more. I'd also like to request fruity umbrella drinks.

Sara: Dude, I need to get stuck with Karen. Because Lewis Carroll is RIGHT UP THERE for me, too. Can I come with you and Cambria? Or maybe we can ALL go get stranded together. (How much fun would that be? SERIOUSLY.) But if Karen's already got Lewis Carroll covered, I'd go for Ender's Game. And I'd love it if the entire series came in one ginormous book. (Particularly all of the Ender novels--Childern of the Mind is my fave. I reread the series at least every two years.) That and the entire Narnia series. Which I know for a fact comes in one book, because I own it :)

Alison: Easy. I don’t typically reread books, especially since my TBR pile matches the height of my two-story. Granted when I do reread a book, I discover nuances and mystery clues I might not have seen first read, but most books fall into one of two categories: meh books that I don’t care to read again or books I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that linger with me long after I turned the last page. It’s with the latter I’m almost afraid of a reread. Like that fresh, magical newness won’t be so magical the second time around.
There are only a few books I’ve extended a long-term relationship to: The Great Gatsby’s a perennial read, my inner sex romance whore couldn’t ignore second third helpings of The Duff and Shut Out (Kody Keplinger), and I plan to reread the Hunger Games series(which is the best series EVER) in anticipation of the movie.
But if I had to choose ONE? Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports. I’ve read it a few six times. Actually, I’ve read most of the books in the series more than once and have the first four on audio (I NEVER do audio books), but the third one? The romantic tension between Max and Fang? The perpetual hilarity provided by blind Iggy and the appropriately named Gazzy? The creepy yet adorable mind-reading Angel? The typical James Patterson page-turning adventure? Total the talking terrier aka Sex and the City’s Stanford reincarnated?
Yeah. That’s my desert island read. My inner fourteen year old needs an occasional daily dose of snarktastic Max.

Alexandra: Sabriel by Garth Nix. It's the book that introduced me to the brilliant blend of horror and fantasy as a teen, and every time I've read it since I've found new things to marvel at, new ways in which Garth Nix is an absolute genius. I've never read a book with a better ambiance of darkness, a stronger backstory, or a more compelling setting. It has an engaging main character in Sabriel, the most unique interpretation of the river Styx I've ever read, a heart-melting romance, and a talking cat. What more could you want? (If you're not a cat fan, the next book, Lirael, has a talking dog. So the series literally has everything.)

Cristin: This is kind of cheating, but I pick Shakespeare's Complete Works. It's one of the only books where you will still be discovering new things during the ten millionth read, plus I could use Timon of Athens as kindling for fires.
YOUR TURN!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved