Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Mc(Title)Lovin'

5 points to whoever gets the reference in the title of this post... 

Yes, Wednesdays are designated for "undercover" posts. But today I'm talking about something that's ON covers...

You see, one thing I have trouble with every. single. time. is coming up with a title for my WIPs. Who's with me? Anyone?

Bueller?

Okay so if you're not with me--PLEASE tell me your secret. How, oh how, do you come up with/decide on a title for your WIP? I mean, let's face it. Most titles are changed by the time books go to publication. More than once, in the experiences I've been a part of! But still. Figuring out what to call what I'm writing while I'm writing it? Next to impossible.

Of course, I could always go with the Random Book Title Generator. But then I end up with titles like Boyfriend in the Time, or Ship of Something, or the perhaps apropos Obsession of Name...

Probably the better course of action would be to read this post by Rachelle Gardner about how to title books. :)

BUT. For now? The book I'm writing has NO title. Maybe I'll just call it Emanon. (Get it? "No name" spelled backwards... Sigh.)

Needless to say, I get total title envy. You know the ones... Those books you hear about that fill you with immediate curiosity and desire to read. The ones that make you wish 1) that you'd written something that would fit the awesomesauceness of the titles, and 2) that those titles weren't already taken...

The following YA titles are prime examples for what I'm talking about:

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson. I mean, can you get anymore badass-sounding than this? This title is full of strong imagery, and it exudes the promise of a kick-ass heroine within its pages.

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. It's impossible not to be tempted into reading something called "Forbidden," isn't it? Like the forbidden fruit. How can you not want to check it out?

White Crow by Marcus Sedgwick. As soon as I heard this title, I was drawn in. Maybe it's because white crows are rare. Or at least in my mind they are, because I've only ever seen black ones. So to me it sounded mysterious and unusual. (Or, hey, maybe it's because the title reminds me of the movie The Crow? I actually never saw it, but I remember how freaking cool the posters for the movie looked, so there was already an edgy sort of connotation in my mind...)

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes. Falling under what? Is it literal or symbolic? It's a beautiful pairing of words, either way.

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1) by Louise Rennison. Seriously. The title alone made me crack up. It promised a highly entertaining book underneath the cover.

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting. It's dark and eery and completely intriguing. Is it about a person who's the pledge for a group? Is it a pledge made by a person? Is it something totally different? Yes, the answers to these questions are probably answered (or at least hinted at) on the back cover, but still. I'm going with initial reaction here :)

So there you have it. Now you tell me--which YA titles are your faves?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved