Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Teen Spy First Line Picks

First of all,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, COPIL!!!

And also, the results are in!!

So, last Thursday, we opened our comments for your first lines--and today, our teen spies and analysts share which ones they liked the most!

Like last time, we put all the first lines into Wordle.net, to see what similarities jumped out--this time around there were a few words you guys seemed to like the most in your first lines. :)
(Click to enlarge)
And now onto the first lines our teens selected!


Katie

3. People used to say Tessa was the Devil's daughter. (Submitted by Cristina)
This first line makes me wonder, and consider the fact that the Devil may indeed have a daughter. It made me curious so I want to continue reading.

2. Snow came down in a mix of snow and ash and blood, and in the distance, The Golden City burned. (submitted by Josin)
The first line gives the impression that this book will be about adventure, mystery and danger. A lot of teens like those kind of books so they would continue reading because they’ll want to figure out why the Golden City was burned.

1. I start this journal knowing I’m breaking the first rule an assassin must live by: never leave a trace. (submitted by Angela Brown)
Normally I hate it when a book starts out with “I”, but this is really catchy! I really want to read the rest of the page. This will also grab other teenagers attention because of the words “breaking,” “rule,” and “assassin.” Those words are attention grabbers for teens today. LOVE this line!

Alyssa

Anyone who saw me get hit by the car will call it an accident, and by definition I suppose it was. (submitted by SStokes)
I liked this one because it seems like the "accident" has a huge, important story behind it. I like that the writer twisted the word of "accident" and also that they're not afraid to pull out all the stops with the first sentence.

Erica

People used to say Tessa was the Devil's daughter. (submitted by Cristina)
I love this line. It's one of those lines where I just have to know more. It makes me ask so many questions.

It takes 1800 mg of Ketamine to knock out a draft horse. (submitted by Josin)
I am so incredibly intrigued by this line, and REALLY want to know WHAT the characters are doing/what they have done that they have discovered this little tidbit of information.

Lexie

I was born the daughter of vampires, flesh of their flesh, the impossible come to life. (submitted by Angela Brown)
It's strange that I like this one so much, considering I am not the biggest fan of vampires in general. But the way it's phrased is just so lyrical and mysterious. I love it.

2. Ember couldn’t ignore the cry. (submitted by Jenny Kaczorowski)
It's so simple, but sometimes those are the best. It immediately hooks you in. I know I would read on.

Emily

The problem with having Death for a father, is that he can be anywhere, at any time. (submitted by Marsha Wells)
I like this one because it is unique. How many people have "Death" for a father?

"Drat!" said Hyacinth. “That moon crazed ninny’s brought home another one.” (submitted by skygrazer)
I think this is a good first line because there are so many unknowns. Who is the "moon crazed ninny"? What did she bring home? And who is Hyacinth?

When Logan arrives, he's holding a flower that could kill me. (submitted by Stephanie Diaz)
Whoa! Now this is just interesting! Does Logan know the flower can kill her? Is that why he brought it? Or is it an innocent mistake?

Sebastian said he found me in a hole. (submitted by Jani Grey)
This automatically makes me think Alice in Wonderland. "Curiouser and curiouser!" Was he/she a baby when found?

Riv

It takes 1800 mg of Ketamine to knock out a draft horse. (submitted by Josin)
My first thought: Really? That's interesting. Now let's continue the horsey book! Why do you need to knock out a draft horse? Why draft specifically? (Also like Josin's other line. It's so pretty, but I didn't pick it for the repetition of the word 'snow' and the fact that it's probably about angels.)

When I was five I erased my sister's appendix scar but it wasn't until I turned fifteen that I managed to erase the rest of her. (submitted by Marcia Sigman)
My first thought: Wait. What? *rereads* Oh. Cool. Now GIMME. This book tells us everything and nothing. MC is born with a magical power. Is she a super-healer, who fixes her sister's cancer(?) too well? Or is she a fairy? Or something about alternate dimensions?


Also liked (if you're interested):
The problem with having Death for a father is that he can be anywhere, at any time. (Marcia Wells) ~It makes me think of The Book Thief, AKA The Epitome of Awesome.
I start this journal knowing I’m breaking the first rule an assassin must live by: never leave a trace. (Angela Brown) ~Assassins!! 
The chains around her wrists jingled, echoing off the stone walls, a cheery sound out of place. (Kelley Gerschke) ~YAY! Torture chambers! 
I did it for a girl, which I’d say makes me the dumbest f*** to ever walk the planet, but I know that’s not true because Chunk and Nick did too, so they’re at least as dumb as me. (Lisa Desrochers) ~Is it considered prejudice if most of the reason that I liked this is because of the author?

Gracie

Los Angeles asphalt tastes like butterscotch. (We let her cheat and pick an operative--Copil!)
This one immediately made me curious: What? Does it really?? And also, a character who says something like that has GOT to be fun to hang around with for an entire book.

Sebastian said he found me in a hole. (submitted by Jani Grey)
Mostly curiosity is why I like this one... but I also like that two characters are introduced right away.

She should've worn her combat boots, not five inch heels. (submitted by Suzanne van Rooyen)
My favourite by far, as it straight away perked my interest, and did a great job selling me on only the first line. Can’t wait to read more!

I also really like:
I start this journal knowing I’m breaking the first rule an assassin must live by: never leave a trace. (submitted by Angela Brown)
AND:
Anyone who saw me get hit by the car will call it an accident, and by definition I suppose it was. (submitted by SStokes)
Why these two first lines stand out for me is because there both original, really interesting, eerie, mysterious! Can’t wait to see what comes after!


And there you have it! Our teen spies and analysts have spoken!

What about you guys? Which lines from the comments of last Thursday's post (found here) were your favorites? And why?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved