Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ah, Memories...



Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:
 What's the first non-picture book you remember reading all by yourself when you were younger? Have you read it since?
Our Answers

Karen:  I think it was the Choose Your Own Adventure books. They may have had a picture here and there, but they weren't picture books. I loved reading different variations of the same story. Judy Blume books might have been around that same time, but I'm pretty sure CYOA came first.


Alexandra: I don't remember what it was called, but there's a chapter book that I swear was done by the Berenstains that I read on my own. It might not have been the first, but it was one of the first. (I did look through the Berenstain Bears chapter books online, and none of them seemed familiar. But I can remember specific plot points from whatever book it was, so I know it exists, whatever it is.)

Cambria: I can't remember the first, but I'm sure it was either a Nancy Drew or Ramona book. It could also be Where the Sidewalk Ends...although that has pictures so maybe doesn't count?

CopilMy dad read a lot of true crime and thought nothing of slipping me his empties. I read Helter Skelter before I read The Hobbit. Yeah, I know, explains a lot. One day dad handed me a used copy of Henry Reed's Babysitting Service by Keith Robertson (mom had probably stopped doing laundry until he brought home something more age appropriate). It was the first book I remember reading in one sitting, going back to page 1 and then doing it all over again. It was like paper sunshine. Also? No murders.

Cristin: The earliest real books I remember getting into were the Wayside School books by Louis Sachar. My first grade teacher read a little to us each day, but she was moving too slowly for me so I checked them all out of library for myself.

Alison: I honestly don’t remember when I started reading non-picture books (because I’m so OLD), but I do remember reading Choose Your Own Adventure books and loving them. I also read a lot of books about animals. And Star Wars.

Sara: The Boxcar Children, I think. Or maybe Nancy Drew


Your turn!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved