Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Best YA


Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:
What’s the best YA you’ve read this year?

source
Our Answers

Alexandra: A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix!

Sara: Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers. Seriously filled with so. much. love. for this book. Assassin nun. High stakes fantasy. Gorgeous prose. Okay, and to be honest, it’s tied with Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta. For most of the exact same reasons. (Just replace “assassin nun” with “ruffian with a secretly beautiful soul and torchered, multiple personalitied princess.”)

Alison: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. There are many books that make me cry. And there are probably just as many that make me laugh. TFIOS did both - a lot. My stomach cramped several times from either uncontrollable sobbing or gut-busting laughter. John Green just has this amazing way of bringing every emotion to the surface. Such an incredible, heart-warming and heart-wrenching story. I highly recommend.

Cristin: My answer may be super obvious, but my favorite so far has been The Fault In Our Stars. John Green's writing really speaks to the teenager who still lives inside of me who was always made fun of for using big words. I loved everything about it.

Cambria: Pandemonium!!! Fast-paced and dangerous and sexy!

Copil: Un Lun Dun by China Mieville. I know it's older (came out in 2007) but I only got around to it this year. I love fantastical otherworlds and Meiville has an eye-poppingly inventive go at creating his. Every few pages Mieville introduces a creature or concept (or creature as concept) with so many levels, I kept re-reading passages and finding new discoveries each time. Reminded me of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4. Also? Three words: Garbage Can Ninjas.

 Your turn!!

2 comments:

Maddie said...

My all-time favorite YA novel, this year, next year, every year for the rest of my LIFE, has to be Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. No other book has ever spoken to me like that one has. The prose crawled in my heart and kept me up at night, wishing to be a good of a write as ms. Anderson. I connected with Wintergirls in a way I've never connected with a book. I struggled with anorexia for a long time (I'm 15- I was consumed by the disease when I was 12, and have just now began to recover). Lia's story filled me with hope for the future, that maybe I could move past my demons and open myself up to the love of the people around me. I think I can honestly say that Ms. Anderson saved my life, since I had really been struggling between "recovering" and "relapsing".

Maddie said...

By the way, my email is madison.hines14@yahoo.com
I forgot to put it in my message :)

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved