Thursday, April 19, 2012

YA Matchmaking



Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

But FIRST--a special announcement!!!


Recently, YA Confidential had the opportunity to lend some operatives for a very special mission (not to be confused with a Very Special Episode where the agents reminisce about previous episodes because they basically ran out of ideas).

Cupid from Cupid's Literary Connection asked us to pre-screen the entries for the just-finished Agent Invasion. Not only were we honored, we had a BLAST doing it! The submissions were outstanding and some of them have already received attention from the incredible list of agents who stopped by.

We were so inspired by the entries, we jumped at the chance to post our thoughts about the experience. Our guest post over there today talks about playing agent-for-a-day and also offers a SECOND chance (along with the one below) to win something from our Vault!

And head over there tomorrow for a YA Confidential collaboration with Cupid where we release into the wild (*echo-y announcer voice*) The Perfect Query Letter (patent pending).

We hope you'll take a moment to visit Cupid's site and check our guest posts today and tomorrow as well as read some of the amazing entries. More importantly, take a look at Cupid's new contest and join in the fun!


Go ahead, we'll wait right here with our vault question for the day. 


*waits patiently* 

*raps along to Fantastic Voyage*

*(What? It's FUN. Try it.)*

*(And also? Whatever happened to Coolio??)*


And now, back to regularly scheduled programming!


To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:
If you could pair two characters from two different YA books in a relationship, whom would you choose?

Our Answers

Copil: I'd set up Frankie Landau-Banks (from E. Lockhart's The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks) with Guy Langman (Josh Berk's main character in Guy Langman, Crime Scene Procrastinator). At first glance, they seem ill-matched. Frankie is ambitious and wicked smart. Guy defines laziness and thinks golf course ball-washers are the height of comedy (in his defense, they are pretty funny).  But under the surface, both characters struggle with a similar desire to be taken seriously by their peers and spend a lot of time analyzing the motivations of those around them. I think putting them in a room together might result in some serious chemistry. Also, neither seems to have a prohibition against committing a misdemeanor. And from experience I can tell you that's a match made in heaven.

Sara: The problem here is that I usually really like the characters that end up together in the same book. So… I’m thinking… Okay. What about Gale from The Hunger Games and Ismae from Grave Mercy. (Which, omg if you haven’t read that book yet what is WRONG with you????) We already know Gale would need a strong, badass girl, like Katniss, and Ismae? A nun assassin? I mean, let’s be real. She’s freaking badass. Except I like Ismae with someone else. (I won’t say without giving stuff away.) But still. I’m sticking with this answer because I always liked Gale and knowing he ended up with someone good would make me happy.  

Karen: Katsa (Graceling) and Seth (Wicked Lovely) Mainly because I've never really loved Aislinn, but also because Katsa and Seth would make a kick-butt couple.

Cambria: PASS! This one's too hard to answer! For me, the reason why I love so many of the YA relationships I read about is because the couples just seem so...perfect together. It's almost impossible for me to imagine them with anyone else, even if the book relationship may not have gone exactly how I would've liked. So I'm holding up my big fat PASS card on this one!

Alison: Oooh! Easy. I would pair Adam Wilde (Where She Went) with me!  Oh, wait. You said YA book character. *pens autobiography, slaps it up on Amazon*  The autobiography’s about my teen years—that’ll make it YA, right. ;)

On a serious note (although I was really being serious), the more I thought about this question, the more my mind went to those good-hearted characters who didn’t get the guy (or girl) or who just seemed to get the raw-end of the life stick, and I just wanted him/her to be with someone GOOD and AWESOME. Here are a few I came up with.

Clay (Thirteen Reasons Why) with Juliet Sykes (Before I Fall)

Meredith (Anna and the French Kiss) and Ty (Catching JordanI was going to say more on this, then realized I’d be spoiling both books. You’ll just have to trust me on this one.

Colby (The Disenchantments) with Mia (If I Stay) What? They’re both into music. I love both of them. And well, if Mia’s with Colby, then I can have Adam all to myself.

Also, I really want Charlie (The Perks of Being a Wallflowerto find a good, decent girl who will love him and let him be loved. I was thinking Melinda (Speak), but man, they both have so much baggage. Thoughts?

And because my answer is not long enough and because I want to strike off on a somewhat related tangent - I just really wanted the Colonel (Looking for Alaskato end up with someone TALL and HOT. Someone who needs his humor, but would also keep in line. Therefore, I banish him to a semi-deserted island with Taylor Rene Krystal Hawkins aka Miss Texas (Beauty Queens)

Your turn!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved