Thursday, May 24, 2012

Authentic Teen Voice


Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:
Which YA novel you've read recently do you think best nailed the "teen" voice?

source
Our Answers

Karen: I loved FRACTURE by Megan Miranda. I tend to like the teen voices that sound more mature because that's how I was as a teen. (I didn't get immature until my twenties. ;)

Sara: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally. Jordan Woods, the MC, has a superb teenage voice. Which, I think, says a lot, considering she’s the quarterback for her high school’s football team, a position not many teenage girls currently fill. So, written by any other author, she may have felt inauthentic. But Miranda gave her a very real teen perspective that added another level to the believability of her story.

Alison: This question was challenging for me because most of the books I’ve read lately have a strong “teen” voice, IMHO. But I guess one that stands out is Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler. I mean, I know not all teens speak in page long paragraphs or get obsessive about screenings of classic B-movies, but I really felt like I was in a teenager’s head while I was reading. Min was real, authentic, and totally relatable. And her story made me want to castrate every jerk (I’m being very nice here) who’s ever broken my heart.

Katy: I just finished reading an ARC of THIS IS NOT A TEST by Courtney Summers (available next month) and holy crap, was it amazing. The story is set against a zombie apocalypse, but somehow that didn't take anything away from its realism. The teen voice was absolute perfection. Gritty and unflinching and raw, so real I found myself rereading passages to study their awesomeness. The characters, six kids battling zombies and each other, had a way of saying exactly what needed to be said at exactly the right moment, with exactly the right amount of emotion-laced slang. Courtney Summers rocks at capturing the teen voice in all of her novels, but THIS IS NOT A TEST is, for me, is her best book to date.

Jessica: I loved the voice in Welcome Caller, This Is Chloe by Shelley Coriell. Chloe's voice was so authentic teen and so awesomely funny. She felt like such a real girl to me.

Cambria: This one's tough...but I think Amy Reed nailed five, yes, FIVE teen voices in her book Clean. It's Breakfast Club meets the rehab center and all the characters have their own identifiable quirks that make them seem so authentically troubled and teen. 

Copil: Lexapros and Cons by Aaron Karo. MC Chuck Taylor sounded just as insecure, awkward and ill-at-ease as I remember feeling in high school. Hmmm, now that I think about it, Karo's book pretty accurately reflects the middle-aged-man voice as well.

Matt: I'm reading Passenger, by Andrew Smith, right now, and as usual, Jack is as alive and twisted and true as any teenage boy I've ever known.

Your turn!



1 comments:

Maddie said...

I recently read "This Lullaby" by Sarah Dessen, and the main character, Remy, had such an amazing voice. She was sarcastic, real, and didn't take crap from anyone. Remy made the story come alive, and I could actually hear her in my head as if she were real. Ms. Dessen did an excellent job, as always, with her characters.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved