Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book-to-Movie Dreams


Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:
Which YA novel would you be most excited to learn was being made into a film or TV show (that hasn't already been optioned)?
source
Our Answers

Alison: Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. This is the summary direct from Libba’s website:

Teen beauty queens. A "Lost"-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to email. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

Think Lord of the Flies meets Miss Congeniality. I would LOVE to see this made into a movie.

Cristin: I think THE LUXE books by Anna Godbersen would make a fantastic television series, like Downton Abbey meets Gossip Girl. I'd watch the hell out of that.

Alexandra: I would die of happiness if someone made a movie out of SABRIEL by Garth Nix. I love dark and creepy stories, and Sabriel is such a dynamic main character. I think with the right cast and the right director it would be fantastic.

Katy: According to my good friend Google, JELLICOE ROAD, UNDER THE NEVER SKY, DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE, and THE SCORPIO RACES have all been optioned for film. Let's take a moment to celebrate, shall we? As far as I can tell, though, Franny Billingsley's CHIME and Kristin Cashore's GRACELING have not yet been optioned... Um, why not? I think they could both be awesome on the big screen. Their world building and their kickass heroines could be amazing if brought to life by the right creative teams. .

Jessica: I think Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard would make the most magical movie. Can you imagine if they shot in on location in Belize? Oh man, the gorgeous scenery...and I picture a totally killer soundtrack, too.

Cambria: I'm totally not up to date on what's been optioned or not, but I'd love to see Stolen by Lucy Christopher made into a movie. It's such an emotional internal journey that Gemma goes on, but that journey wouldn't have been so heartbreaking if it didn't take place in the Australian outback. Filming that story in the desert would be a cinematographer's wet dream. Like The English Patient but in Australia and with an actual storyline that doesn't put you to sleep. :) 

Copil: Un Lun Dun by China Meiville. There's a scene in Un Lun Dun where Deeba has to fight her way through a web of spider-legged windows. Each window looks out onto a different scene (by turns idyllic, horrific and mesmerizing). Great treasures are piled up in some views and many treasure hunters have found themselves drawn into a window only to have it, and the world behind its glass, swallowed whole by another window. And then another. Deeba's escape from this bizarre maze is brilliant, ethereal and very cinematic. I love the idea of giving Terry Gilliam a go at all of Un Lun Dun's improbables.

Karen: Daughter of Smoke and Bone. (Has it already been optioned? Prob has but I'm too lazy to research it, so that's my answer.)

Matt: Ship Breaker, by Paolo Bacigalupi, because that world is so awesome.

SaraGrave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers. Oh yes. Yes times a million. I could so see this as a series on HBO. Amazing scenery with the grittiness of something like Game of Thrones. (Though I'm reading Un Lun Dun now, at Copil's suggestion, and I'm liking his answer, too!)

Your turn!




2 comments:

Eliza Tilton said...

If I Stay. Directed by. M. Night Shamlayn or Catherine Hardwicke and you'd have one haunting beautiful tale

Maddie said...

Oh, great question. I have to say (and my little sister would definitely agree with me) the morganville vampire series should all be made into movies. Great chracters, great plot, and the vampires don't even sparkle!!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved