Thursday, June 28, 2012

Going a little deeper today!


Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:
What's something about life that you thought you saw clearly as a teen, but now see differently?

Our Answers

Cristin: When I was a teenager, I thought I would reach a point in my life where I felt like I knew what I was doing, where things were settled, and where I felt like an actual grown-up. If such a point exists, which I now seriously doubt, I definitely haven't reached it yet!

Katy: Ha! Can I just say adulthood in general? As a teen, I thought my parents had it SO easy - they could do whatever they wanted! Turns out there's a lot of stress and responsibility that comes with being grown-up (a term I use lightly). Paying bills isn't all it's cracked up to be... Who would've thought?

Jessica: My teachers! I thought teaching had to be pretty easy when I was a teen, and I didn't think much of the things that my teachers did for me or taught me. Now that I've been a teacher myself for a few years now I realize how much work goes on behind the scenes, even for the simplest of lessons. Teaching is a lot harder and takes a lot more than I ever realized as a teen.

Cambria: Man...this question is deeeeep. But as a teen, I would've bet anything that attending a college far far away where no one knew me was the answer to all my problems. I think I figured a clean slate also meant my memory would somehow be erased, too. But now I know you can't ignore your problems just by putting some mileage between it. The best way to deal with things is to acknowledge it exists and then WORK THROUGH IT.

Copil: I assumed my classmates' great triumphs and sad failures could never be mine. They were too happy or smart or strong or troubled or suicidal. Now I realize the capacity for greatness and darkness resides in all of us. You know how they say we share 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees? Turns out we share 100% of our DNA with other humans.

Karen: As a teen I assumed there was always time to make up with people or tell them I love them, but I learned the hard way that you never know when it's your last day with someone.

Matt: When I was a teenager, I knew without a doubt that all adults could not be trusted, were selfish, and would screw you over in a heartbeat. Now that I'm adult, I know there's at least one who's okay.

Alexandra: That having a college degree would help me get a job. And unfortunately I'm only half joking with that answer.

Your turn!


1 comments:

Eliza Tilton said...

Fear. When I was a teen the only fear I had was of getting caught doing something naughty...Before I had nothing to lose, now I can lose everything: my job, apartment, kids, husband. There's so many things in my life that I don't and can't have that I-don't-care-fearless attitude.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved