Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Real Teen Answers

On Friday you asked the questions. And today our teens provide the answers!

I'd love to know if you and your friends read during the summer or if you take a break - and if you do read, do you read a lot and is it required reading for next year or just your own choices?

LISSA: I get the most reading done during the summer! Since I’m so busy during the year, and hardly have a chance to fulfill my reading needs, I try to get a lot of books crossed off my TBR list during summer vacation.

I read sososo much, but always what I want to read. The only occasion I would read anything school-related would be if I wanted to acquaint myself with next year’s reading schedule before reading along with my class, but I generally just read the books that I have desire to get involved in.

EMILY V: Of course I read during the summer! One of the biggest reasons I look forward to summer is that I finally have time to get to all those books I couldn't read during the school year.

KATIE: Yes I read during the summer, as much as I can. I read book for next year and my own choices.

LYNSAY: I do read in the summer because that has been my only time to get in any reading that I choose. I've been reading for English all school year! I read things that I want to read, but I actually do have a book for next year to read too.

MADISON: If I took a break from reading, I don't even know what I'd do with myself (besides writing of course.) I had to take a semi-break in June for Camp NaNoWriMo, which is where you write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days or less (I won this year!) but even during that I still read a little every day, just not as much as I do regularly.

RANDI: I do most of my reading over summer break! I do my required reading and personal choices. I end up reading a lot because I work at a library twice a week, but yeah, summer is definitely prime reading time.

RIV: I always read. I can't not read. I have two books required this summer, and then I'm of course reading outside of that. Usually I read a ton during the summer, though this year I've finished significantly less. In part because I've been writing, in part because I was introduced to Doctor Who last week. (One season in less than twenty-four hours! I don't know why I'm flaunting this fact, like it makes me cool. But, suffice to say, I'm officially a Whovian.) My friends also read, I think. But I don't hang out with people who "need a break" from reading. It's like needing a break from a free period, or Snow Days. There's never enough of it.

EMILY C: Lemme put it this way: My best friend and I got a whole lotta joy out of going to the Millenium (huge library) 2 weeks ago. I believe I have already read around 15 or 20 books this summer, and it is only part way through July! I read for my own enjoyment, and I actually never have read because it is a requirement over the summer...

LENNON: I read a lot during the summer. However I don't normally finish the books I start- I'm currently reading four different books (my choices) and haven't even started my required reading (The Alchemist) yet. And due to the fact that most of my friends are nerds, most of my friends read for fun over the summer.

ERICA: I read over the summer - I never take a break :) Summer is my time to read lots, as during the school year college pretty much takes over my life and my reading time is cut drastically. I've never had required reading in the summer to do.

CHIHUAHUA ZERO: Right now, I think my reading rate stays around the same in the summer than during the school year. I shifted more toward e-books though, but that's because I'm getting more and more material onto it. Having access to the computer more often and not having the chance to read during summer camps also have changed my writing habits.

GRACIE: Yes, I read during the summer! Actually, because I have a lot more time on my hands, I read more. I'll spend days just reading and that's it. During the summer all I read are my own choices (I've never gotten assigned reading for the summer...)

What's your opinion on rap in general?

LISSA: I used to hate rap music so much that I’d turn off the radio with the first verse of a song, or I’d stop talking when the conversation turned to the latest Eminem. I’ve become accustomed to rap music, though, because close friends have gotten me to at least have a listen to their favourite songs, and have found that I enjoy it when in certain moods. I disagree with a lot of the themes that are brought up in rap music, but when I can find a song that I like, I’ll listen to it.

LENNON: I personally love all music and can handle certain rap in small doses, however rap is by no means my favorite genre of music. I don't understand half of what they are saying sometimes but some songs and artists aren't that bad.

RIV: I used to absolutely hate it, but I've been a little less...intense about it lately. I don't think it's music, per say. Not like rock or pop (though whether "pop" should be labeled as music or garbage is another discussion all together.*) But I still think it's an art form of sorts, that's it's a form of self-expression, even if it's just a bunch of muttered words. It's not "real music" in the traditional sense, but I don't think it's less than any other garbage the radio spews out these days. Does that mean that I think all rap songs are full of depths and meaning, just because they're art? No, as that would imply that all art is meaningful, and I know I might get some hate for this, but I don't think Red Solo Cup was imbibed (pun intended) with enough emotion to make me cry.

*This may have sounded really rude to pop fans. It was a joke. I'm really not that mean. *cough*

ERICA: I am not a fan at all. I am a show tunes and rock kind of girl :)

EMILY V: In general, I really don't like it. There are a few songs I like that have rap in them, but mostly it all seems to be vulgar and profane, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

RANDI: Most of the rap genre is....I'm trying to find a way to put this lightly.....I really don't like it. There are a few exceptions, but I find a lot of it really grating to the ears and offensive.

GRACIE: Personally I'm not a fan of rap, but that's just opinion.

MADISON: Ugh, it's disgusting. I hate it. I mean, it's just fast talking. I get that it's supposed to be poetry, but the things it talks about in the 'song' just seem so juvenile. Plus, there's a kid who used to be in my first period class who would try and rap to songs on his headphones. Emphasis on 'try'- he was so God-awful I actually told him to shut up one day. I still shudder just thinking about it ha-ha.

KATIE: I don't like rap. Nope not at all.

CHIHUAHUA ZERO: My taste in music is wide, and rap is among one of the genres that's getting more and more love from me. I actually did a blog post on it last year, along with a four-part review of Nicki Minaj's second album. I love Nicki Minaj. By the time this post goes live, her "Pound the Alarm" music video should be up. It helps that she's also very pop, and pop dominates my iTunes library.

However, I have been looking into more urban rap recently. "Mercy", anyone? I'm seeing if my uncle has Kanye's West last album.

In terms of subject matter, both rap and pop is iffy, but with rap, I have been sticking mostly with Nicki and Kanye. I'm not overly interested with the rest of Young Money, but I'm keeping an eye out for G.O.O.D. Music.

EMILY C: Yuck. I don't like rap, and I really don't understand why people enjoy it. I like being able to actually understand lyrics!

LYNSAY: Well I assume we're talking about rap music? I think rap music gets a bad name. I'm not really into profanity, but I think that it isn't all bad, and rapping takes a lot of talent, and people work really hard at it. I can certainly appreciate the talent and hard work.

Huge thank yous to our SPIES and ANALYSTS! And thank YOU for asking such amazing questions! Also, if you've thought of another question, or missed the post to ask it--don't worry. We'll be back with another ask-a-teen feature next month!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved