Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Undercover: Rejacketing

We're all familiar with books we love getting new covers. It can be really cool to see how a different designer or publisher or imprint imagines the jacket for a book. So today I'm going to highlight some books that have received new covers (some when they were re-released, some when they were still pre-publication, and some mid-series) and compare the differences.

First up, WHITE CAT by Holly Black
This was the hardcover jacket, the original design.
They changed the font for the paperback, and the jacket for the second book uses this font style.
This style of cover is the main cover for the third book, so the whole series got a makeover.

ANGUS, THONGS, AND FULL-FRONTAL SNOGGING by Louise Rennison
This is the first American cover for these books. It's the cover my copy has, which I bought way back when I was 14.
After book 6, they stopped making the plaid skirt covers, and only made this style. It made me sad because all my books have the plaid skirt covers, until I couldn't get them anymore.

THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson
This was the original cover of the book. It made it onto the ARCs, but was changed before the hardback came out.
This is the amazing cover they ended up going with for the release of the book. Dear Greenwillow, PLEASE do not change this style of cover before I can get the entire series with jackets like this! Thanks!

So, of these cover examples, which are your favorites? Least favorites? Are there any books you wish had never had a cover makeover? Any books you're so glad got new jackets? Comment and let us know!



1 comments:

Maddie said...

I kind of like the new covers for the "Angus, thongs, and full-frontal snogging" because Angus looks so adorable with his tiara :D
I love to play around with cover designs. If I were a little bit more photoshop savvy, or had any money whatsoever to buy another editing program, mine would probably look better. I was messing around on createspace.com with their cover creator, and the one I made for my WIP looks kind of cool.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved