Thursday, August 16, 2012

Books We Wish Had Been Around Longer


Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:
For adults: What book do you wish had been around when you were a teen? For teens: What's one book that's helped you get through a tough time?

Our Answers

Copil: My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan by Seth Rudetsky. Sure, there are other, perhaps deeper books out there that would have exposed me to the thought process of a gay male. But this is one I might have read back then and been the better for it.

Karen: I wish Lisa Schroeder's books would have been around when I was a teen. I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME and CHASING BROOKLYN speak directly to my soul. And while they hit way too close to home at times and leave me in tears, I think they would have helped me get through the hardest time in my life.

Matt: Harry Potter. That is all.

Alison: Oh, gosh. There are SO MANY. Of course, I grew up in the eighties and half the content in stories today would be taboo, but if I could jump in my DeLorean and give my teen self one of the amazing books out now—I’d say Perfect (Ellen Hopkins). And let teen Alison know that it’s okay to be herself. And not what she thought everyone expected her to be.

Cambria: I have to pick one??? I can't just say anything that Courtney Summers writes? I mean, that's one author. Fine. Whatever. I'm going to say Some Girls Are. There are mean girls and then there are the mean girls that Courtney Summers creates. I've dealt with my fair share growing up and this book really would've spoken to me as a teen. 

Sara: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver, or Some Girls Are by Courney Summers. Any book, really, that allow mean or shallow girls to open their eyes and see that life can be so much richer—even if for a short amount of time—by allowing kindness to play a part.

Alexandra: I really REALLY wish that Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson had been around when I was 15. There are a lot of messages in that book about learning to like and accept yourself that I really could have used.

Katy: Any of the exceptionally well-done realistic contemporaries. Reading books by Stephanie Perkins, John Green, Sarah Dessen, and Jennifer Echols as a teen would have made me feel much more normal!

Jessica: Oh man, I wish that all of this awesome YA had been around when I was a teen! I probably would have locked myself up in my room and never come out. I would have particularly loved some of the amazing YA romance novels had been there for Teen Jess...authors like Jennifer Echols, Stephanie Perkins, and Sarah Dessen would have been just the thing to get me through my awkward teen years.

Your turn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved