Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Getting Your Sports On!



It never fails. Every four years I turn into a Cambria-sized slug on the couch because of this little old thing called the Olympics. Maybe you’ve heard of it? 
Well, I don’t know about any of you, but I’m a total Olympics JUNKIE. Every day I sit glued to my TV, computer, or iPad (or in this year’s case – all three at the same time!) stalking the events like a cat pawing at a laser pen. Something about the world’s most elite athletes battling it out in front of an international audience really gets my fangirl mojo going.

Yesterday was an EPIC day. I’m not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't heard (although, really, if you don’t know what a certain Olympian did that hadn’t been done EVER, then I don’t know if we can be friends)…but basically yesterday’s sheer craziness made me realize just how much my love for the Olympics is like my love for reading YA.  

The players. The drama. The unknown. The high stakes. The anticipation. The promise of something spectacular. The crowd involvement. The emotions. The payoff.

Every Olympic event is unique, unpredictable, unscripted, and totally thrilling. And you don’t have to be a “sports” person to admire all that.

Admittedly, you may be sick of hearing about nothing else besides medal counts, and broken records, and yadda yadda yadda. But if you’re like me and looking for another way to infuse your life with sports, here’s a quick list of some sports-themed YA books to check out:

Baseball:
High Heat by Carl Deuker
Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally

Football:
Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach

Basketball:
Boy 21 by Matthew Quick
Head Games by Keri Mikulski

Running/Cross-Country:
Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick (Ok, I may be cheating -- and a bit biased -- with this one, but there’s actually a lot of running in this book!)
The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen

Soccer:
Pretty Tough by Liz Tigelaar
Shots on Goal by Rich Wallace

Gymnastics:
Gold Medal Summer by Donna Freitas
Leverage by Joshua C. Cohen

Swimming:
Swim the Fly by Don Calame
Stotan! by Chris Crutcher


There are seriously tons more out there! Have you read any sports YA books? If so, let us know some of your favorites in the comments.

Until next time, happy Olympics-watching! (GO TEAM USA!!!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved