Monday, September 3, 2012

Five years have past; five summers, with the length of five long winters**

Most of my favorite books came out in the late 90s or the early 2000s--the buzz they had has died down long ago, since the authors have come out with new books and series, trends have changed, and new books have stepped into the limelight. (Excluding Harry Potter. HARRY POTTER BUZZ SHALL NEVER DIE!)

But I still love those books that came out five years ago or more, and I frequently recommend them to people looking for good YA. And I still love reading new-to-me stuff that didn't necessarily come out recently.

I asked the operatives, spies, and analysts what some of their favorite pre-2007 YA books were, and given the long list I got back, I am not the only one who loves me some YA "oldies."

In no particular order:

The Absolutely True Diary of A Part-Time Indian - Sherman Alexie
Boy Toy - Barry Lyga
His Dark Materials trilogy - Philip Pullman
The Truth About Forever - Sarah Dessen
Night World series - L.J. Smith
This Lullaby - Sarah Dessen
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
Sloppy Firsts - Megan McCafferty
Princess Diaries - Meg Cabot
Looking For Alaska - John Green
Wild Magic series - Tamora Pierce
Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson
13 Reasons Why - Jay Asher
The Gemma Doyle trilogy - Libba Bray
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - David Levithan and Rachel Cohn
Unwind - Neal Shusterman
On The Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta
Hatchet - Gary Paulson
My Side of the Mountain - Jean Craighead George
Forever - Judy Blume
Spellfall - Katherine Roberts
Major Crush - Jennifer Echols
Sabriel - Garth Nix
Tithe - Holly Black
The Song of the Lioness series - Tamora Pierce
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
The Giver - Lois Lowry
Wildwood Dancing - Juliet Marillier 
City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have to Kill You - Ally Carter

The funny thing is, I've heard of every single one of these books. I may not have read all of them, but I have come across them at one point or another, either in a library or a blog post or a list of award winning YA novels. It looks like the buzz on good books never really dies down.

What are your favorite YA books from 2007 or before? See any of your favorites on our list? (Some of them, like Laurie Halse Anderson, Tamora Pierce, John Green, and Libba Bray came up more than once! And, of course, the most mentioned was Harry Potter. But I bet you're not surprised.)



**Blog post title is a direct quote from the poem "Lines Written a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey on Revisiting the Banks of the Wye during a Tour, July 13, 1798." (more commonly known as "Tintern Abbey") by William Wordsworth. Speaking of things from before 2007 (like, over 200 years before 2007) this poem is awesome. It's hard to read the first time through, but persevere. It's worth it. (Get it? William WordsWORTH? Yeah, I'll shut up and end the post now. Ciao!)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved