Thursday, November 8, 2012

Let's talk about endings!

Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! ARCs, signed books, awesome books... Anything we have--you get to choose.

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:
Assuming that the ending fits the story it's given, do you prefer happy or sad or ambiguous endings?

Our Answers

Jessica: I like ambiguously happy endings. I don't have to know exactly what happens to the characters, and sometimes the neat little boy annoys me a bit. I like to be able to imagine where they are going and what's in the future for them. It's fun to speculate on that and not have it told to me.

Matt: I tend to prefer sad/ambiguous endings, because life's a bitch, and I don't read books to be lied to.

Sara: Happy endings. I read to escape, so I love when things end well for the characters I’ve invested in. That’s NOT to say that I don’t appreciate the poignancy of something sad or bittersweet. But for every sad ending, I like three or so happy ones. (Honestly, I doubt every book I write will end in happiness, either. But definitely some will!)

Alexandra: That REALLY depends on the story. I know it sounds like a cop-out, but I swear it's not. I want to say I hate sad endings, but some of my favorite stories have had sad endings (the short story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, and THE SUNDERING books by Jacqueline Carey.) The reason I loved those stories so much was because of their endings--the ending really does need to fit the story, or it can ruin everything. Take the science fiction film SPLICE. 90% of that movie is creepy and awesome. Then for the last 10%, the movie goes into totally batshit territory, and it left me thinking, "What the crap just happened?!?!" In my opinion the end of that movie doesn't fit the rest, and that's really what kind of ending I do not like.

Copil: I like either happy or ambiguous endings. If I need a sad ending I just turn on the news. I read to escape and while I enjoy my fair share of darkness, I don't want that darkness to follow me after the last page.

Alison: I am an HEA kind of girl and so I’m sure I just spoiled any story that I might ever publish. Call me a fairy tale princess, but I like things to end WELL for the main characters.

Katy: I prefer an ambiguously happy ending. I like to know that everything's going to be all right, but I like to imagine what each character's future might be like too.

Your turn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved