Monday, November 5, 2012

Sanctum, by Sarah Fine


I had originally planned something else for today, but I had to re-schedule. So isn't it nice that I just finished this awesome YA Novel I can tell you all about?

Sanctum is Sarah Fine's debut novel. Before I get into my reaction to this dark fantasy, here is the copy, from Amazon:

"My plan: Get into the city. Get Nadia. Find a way out. Simple."

A week ago, seventeen-year-old Lela Santos’s best friend, Nadia, killed herself. Today, thanks to a farewell ritual gone awry, Lela is standing in paradise, looking upon a vast gated city in the distance – hell. No one willingly walks through the Suicide Gates, into a place smothered in darkness and infested with depraved creatures. But Lela isn’t just anyone – she’s determined to save her best friend’s soul, even if it means sacrificing her eternal afterlife.

As Lela struggles to find Nadia, she’s captured by the Guards, enormous, not-quite-human creatures that patrol the dark city’s endless streets. Their all-too human leader, Malachi, is unlike them in every way except one: his deadly efficiency. When he meets Lela, Malachi forms his own plan: get her out of the city, even if it means she must leave Nadia behind. Malachi knows something Lela doesn’t – the dark city isn’t the worst place Lela could end up, and he will stop at nothing to keep her from that fate.

I really enjoyed this book. Full disclosure: yes, Sarah is a friend of mine, and I have the ARC and the awesome map she gave me, but I actually read this on my Kindle, the copy I bought upon release, because the ARC is signed, and I don't like to read signed books unless I have to.

What I loved about this one especially, was that every time it seems like it was going to descend into an ab-gazing gooey mess of sighs and neck nuzzling, something hardcore happened, and there were more sword fights and explosions. What? I'm a dude, we like our books like we like our blades: sharp, and with a hardened edge.

But in all seriousness, Lela and Malachi do make for a hot young couple. Their attraction is palpable, even in the midst of the madness of the world that surrounds them. I won't give away any more about the setting than what's in the copy, but I found the dark city of the shadowlands to be especially vivid, and its inhabitants deliciously twisted.

Lela and Malachi, along with their incredibly bad-ass friend Ana, must face extreme hardship and constant danger as they make their way through shadowy streets inside the suicide gates, and there is hardly a moment where the tension isn't ramped so high you can feel it in your vascular system.

Anyway, I could go on much longer about this book, but there are too many surprises waiting within, and I don't want to ruin anything. Just know that I highly recommend you add it to your TBR list/pile/stack, or however you choose to keep the books you need to read.


1 comments:

Nancy Thompson said...

Thanks, Matt. Always looking for a good recommendation.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved