Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Undercover Wednesday... Coming to a Close

So, I'm currently reading this book:

Reached (Matched, #3)

From GoodreadsAfter leaving Society and desperately searching for the Rising—and each other—Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again: Cassia has been assigned to work for the Rising from within Society, while Ky has been stationed outside its borders. But nothing is as predicted, and all too soon the veil lifts and things shift once again. 

In this gripping conclusion to the #1 New York Times-bestselling Matched Trilogy, Cassia will reconcile the difficulties of challenging a life too confining, seeking a freedom she never dreamed possible, and honoring a love she cannot live without.

Reached is totally and completely awesome so far (Ally Condie writes SO beautifully), and I'm excited to finally know the answers to all the secrets that have been hinted at in the first two installments of the Matched trilogy. But, part of me kind of wants to put this book down... just up and quit reading it indefinitely. I've been invested in the Matched trilogy since the very first book came out, and I'm all kinds of sad to see it end. If I STOP reading now, I'll never know if the Rising and the Society find a peaceful resolution, or if the people of the Reached world will get to stop worrying about the Pilot and the Plague. Cassia and Ky and Zander's story won't come to a definite close, and I won't have to say goodbye to these fantastic characters whose lives I've followed since 2010.  

That's totally how it works, right? Avoid the last book in a trilogy and the story doesn't really end? Kind of like how I mentally ignore that my five-year-old is learning to read and losing her teeth and sassing me up, down, and all around. If I don't acknowledge the fact that she's growing up, she'll remain frozen in time, an innocent child forever, right? 

No? 

Boo.

What makes this all especially hard is that there are SO MANY trilogies that have just -- or are about to -- come to an end. 

Take this one, for example...

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2) Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3)

And this one...

Across the Universe A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2) Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)

And this one...

Delirium (Delirium, #1) Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) Requiem (Delirium, #3)

And don't even get me started on the trilogies I've already had to say goodbye to: The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins, The Summer Series by Jenny Han, and The Wolves of Mercy Falls books by Maggie Stievfater. 

My poor, sad heart just can't take it! 

The only (ONLY) bright point of light on this otherwise cloudy topic of conclusions is that it *is* fun to have a complete trilogy to display on my bookshelves. Seeing those trios of pretty, matching spines always makes me smile, because even though the story is over and done with, I can always relive it. 

Is there a trilogy you were particularly reluctant to say goodbye to? Is there one concluding in the near future that's got you feeling the sads?  

1 comments:

Cally Jackson said...

I'm not looking forward to the Delirium series ending either. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there are more!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved