Saturday, December 15, 2012

Comment of the Week!


Each Thursday we ask a question and invite you to answer for a chance to win something from either The Vault or **NEW** The Book Depository!


The key? I thought you had the key.
Every Saturday we choose our favorite comment and send our winner the item of his or her choice!

This week we asked:

What's your favorite blog post of 2012 (from ANY blog)?

And our winner this week is (drum roll, please!):
Christina!

My top three favorites, as a reader, writer and then just because it's plain awesome:)) 
1. As a reader:

One of my favorite blog posts is something I found just a few days ago. I have to say that I'm one of the last people who haven't read Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I'm awful, I know. But I just couldn't imagine fairy tale retellings with cyborgs. Until I read this post by Marissa, where she explains why she chose her settings, the origins of each fairytale and how they relate to Cinderella in Beijing.

I now HAVE to read it!!

2. As a writer I fell in love with this post.

It's J.K. Rowling's outline for Order of the Phoenix.

I thought I'd never outline, because it seemed so sterile and boring, with no emotional resonance. After seeing how J.K. Rowling does it, how she not only outlines events in scenes for the plot, but also characters and subplots like they're happening in the real life world of the book, despite what actually appears on the page, it's inspired me to outline like this. It's practically a novel-in-snapshots. It doesn't stifle creativity because you get to think about what happens to all the characters off-page, like their lives go on for real, even if it's not in the book. I love that, outlining like it's real life and characters have all this stuff going on behind the scenes which impact the story, in a way that makes you feel they choose how to impact the story.

3. And just because it was simply AWESOME and it's JOHN GREEN!!

Where he talks about how bad he was at french kissing at camp. how he learned to kiss like a normal person and his take on voting in the Presidential elections:))
Christina wins not only for the palpable passion she displays in giving us her choices but also because after she'd posted, she actually went to the trouble of going back through her reposts and forwards to see which shared links got the most reactions from her friends and came back with this and this. Now THAT'S thorough!

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Christina!

Get in touch so we can open up the The Vault or send you something from The Book Depository!

Thanks to everyone who commented!

Copil is not thorough in anything he does (he once lost points on a math test for not answering the final question. Or the first one. Or any of the ones in between). So he cherishes that trait in others. You can see him do very little, like a tired turtle, on Twitter (@Copil).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved