Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Best of 2012 Releases



Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and every Saturday, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome books... OR ***NEW!!*** the book of your choice from the Book Depository!

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:
What's the BEST 2012 release you read this year?

Our Answers

Jessica: If you know me at all, you know it's THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by my boy John Green. I know it's been almost a year since it came out back in January of 2012, but that book is a favorite of all time. Beautiful writing, achingly realistic characters, just the right amount of smart humor, and John Green. 

Sara: Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor. Oh man. The prose is amazing and the plot made it impossible to put down. I would do very many questionable things in order to get my hands on a copy of book 3. Just sayin’. If you haven’t picked DOBAS up yet, DO IT NOW. Thank me later. (Seriously--you know who else is completely addicted to this series now? MY MOM. And she's a tough critic when it comes to books, so, yanno, believe me when I say it's amazing.)

Cambria: Sara said this was an easy question to answer. She totally lied. So as consolation, I'm going to pick FOUR favorite 2012 reads instead of one. (See what happens when you fib, Sara?) In no particular order: Keeper of the Lost Cities (favorite MG/Fantasy), Drowning Instinct (favorite YA contemporary), Pandemonium (favorite dystopian), and This is Not a Test (favorite YA horror/zombies!). 

Copil: Without a doubt, it was Railsea by China Miéville. It's just a great, timeless adventure story, one I can't wait to share with my boys.

Karen: Honestly, as much as I love fantasy and paranormal, my fav read of this year was a NA contemp: Losing It by Cora Carmack. It made me laugh out loud several times, I stayed up late two nights in a row to finish it, and I have the biggest book crush on Garrick.

KatyBITTERBLUE by Kristin Cashore. Loved everything about it -- especially Giddon!

Matt: Sanctum, by Sarah Fine.

AlisonTHIS IS NOT A TEST (Courtney Summers)—extremely fast-paced and so amazingly intense and even though it’s about a fictional zombie apocalypse, it’s so incredibly real. For me that story is Red Dawn meets The Breakfast Club meets zombies. And while I’ve never been a huge zombie fan, I LOVE those two movies. And Courtney Summers is simply genius at keeping everything at an appropriate pace, raising stakes, mystery, and she definitely rocks teen voice.

Alexandra: Seraphina

Your turn!


1 comments:

Katie said...

I knew this question would be a hard one to answer when I started looking through all the books I'd read this year. Just limiting myself to the very best books that came out THIS year, I came up with eleven! So how about categories?
Best YA Contemporary: The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour
Best YA Scifi: Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Best YA High Fantasy: Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
Best YA Realistic Fantasy: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (also one of the funniest books ever)
Best MG: The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand
I know, five books. But they're all so good!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved