Monday, January 21, 2013

So ... Blogging


What does it all mean?

Before we get started, I just have to say: from the NFC, without the Packers or the Giants, and from the AFC, without the Patriots or the Steelers, it's really nice to see this year's Superb Owl won't include the Usu Al Suspects.

I mean it. I'm serious. And if you got all that, your dork card is in the mail.

But for reals.

Has it not become time for all of us to talk about it? Blogging ain't what it used to be, son.

So where does that leave us? Those of us: writers, readers, teachers, librarians, book reviewers, and other plain old bloggers who just so happen to still give a shit? Where are we left? What do we have to look forward to?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to declare blogging dead. I'm just here to say that, in my experience, the expectations of both most bloggers, and most blog readers, has changed. To a drastic degree.

Tumblr. Pinterest. Twitter. Reddit. ... Depending on when you started blogging, some of these services were around, and some weren't, but no matter what, if they were there they no longer exist as you expected them to back when.

Anyway, the point of this post isn't to argue the value of different services. The point of this post is to get people talking about why they started blogging in the first place.

Was it to sell books?

Was it to find an agent?

An editor?

Or was it to get in touch with other writers?

To meet people who do what you do and also have a passion for it?

Personally, I had all those dreams and aspirations. Every one that could ever be tied to the humble pursuit of writing a blog. Were my hopes high? Sure. But I still met most of those goals. Especially when it came to not only meeting, but getting to know many other amazing people who were putting forth their best efforts to become professional writers too.

So what's the point of this post?

Well, it seems to me, the relevance of blogs is waning. My evidence is not entirely scientific, and whether it's true or not, please don't let is discourage any of you, but I do find myself wondering ... where do we go from here?

I'll offer an answer to that question, if I may. It probably seems trite, and it may also seem pointless, but I still believe that the ultimate point of blogging is to meet people. Other bloggers. Other writers. Librarians. Teachers. Students. Readers.

I mean, really, why the hell else are we here, right?

4 comments:

Mrs. Silverstein said...

I agree. I started blogging as a way to engage my students, but kept at it because I was making connections. If you focus on the other stuff, it's too easy to get caught up in the numbers game: how many followers do I have? How many ARCs can I get? Or if you're a pubbed author (or about to be), how will this blog help my sales? For any of those purposes, I don't know if blogging is worth it. But for the community? For the friends I've made, and the encouragement I've gotten as I've started writing? For the books I've learned about when other readers raved about the? TOTALLY worth it. Like anything else, if you're blogging in order to get something, you may be disappointed, but if you're doing it because it's fun, you can't help but gain something from it.

Donna Hosie said...

I completely agree. I find the state of blogging now quite depressing and I know a lot of people who have just give up. The sense of community is still there, but I don't find it as fun anymore. Such a shame.

Nancy Thompson said...

I started only because I read it was necessary for building a platform. I hated it for the first year, but sometime during the second, I started making real connections, real relationships. And though I wish I'd made more connections with readers, those I made with other writers helped get me where I am now. I'm just starting to see a slight payoff. But in the end, it is these people, these writers, who've held my hand & enabled me to attain my goals & make my dream a reality. So while it might have been a business decision at first, it's turned out to be much more personal. Yeah, I'm so busy now I can hardly find time to write a post, let alone make the rounds & read, and I'll probably be cutting back now that I'm starting my second book, but I'll never give these people who've made such a tremendous impact on my life!

SC Author said...

I love blogging because I've met SO many new awesome people. I don't think it is dead, persay, at least in the writerly world. Blogs are a great way to promote your book. The trouble, I feel, that it is mostly writers promoting to other writers. How to change that, I'm not sure. But writers are usually avid readers, so it might not be a problem :D

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved