Thursday, February 28, 2013

February Book Recs!


Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and on the last Saturday of the month, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome books... OR the book of your choice from the Book Depository!

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:
What's the best book you read in February--and what made it so spectacular?

Our Answers

Copil: Dodger by Terry Pratchett. Set in Victorian London Dodger is up there with Railsea as a YA novel that expands what YA can be. The prose is typical of Pratchett in its wit and lyricism and his main character is a charming rogue you cheer for the whole way. I loved this book! It's not just my February pick, it's my favorite read of the year and will be tough to beat.

Jessica: The best book I've read this month was JUST ONE DAY by Gayle Forman. Paris + travel + kissing + self discovery + absolutely gorgeous writing = 5 stars from Jess.

Cambria; I read Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects and  loved it! It's a dark mystery with a very flawed protagonist and a cast of characters who are so unlikable, you're instantly intrigued by them. I'm just in awe of Gillian Flynn's work!

Karen: Splintered by AG Howard. It was NOT light and fluffy Disney Wonderland, nor did it stay totally accurate to Lewis Carroll's version, but that's the fun of retelling a classic. I thought Splintered was brilliant--dark and twisted at times, but clearly that was the intention. Howard made my skin crawl and my heart break more than once.

Katy: Jess totally beat me to it, but I'm going with Gayle Forman's JUST ONE DAY as well. Such a gorgeous story of self discovery with a main character I could totally relate to. And Willem... Yes, please! (Honorable mentions to THROUGH THE EVER NIGHT by Veronica Rossi and TAKEN by ERIN BOWMAN - two stunning dystopian-esque novels I couldn't put down!)

Matt: The best book I read in February was EMPTY, by K.M. Walton. It's a terrible, tragic, heartrending story, but it's also a powerful and important read.

Your turn!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved