Thursday, February 21, 2013

When YOU were a teen...


Every Thursday, we post a question for our followers--and on the last Saturday of the month, one of the commenters will be selected to choose a title from our Vault! Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome books... OR the book of your choice from the Book Depository!

To enter, follow YA Confidential and please make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way! (So we can get in touch with you :)

Today's question:
What do you think is the biggest difference between when you were a teen and what it's like to be a teen now? (If you're a teen stopping by, let us know if any of the answers are correct!)

Our Answers

Jessica: Absolutely technology! I was in high school when the biggest technology was pagers, and ONE girl in my whole high school had a cell phone...a big Zach Morris situation. I can't imagine dealing with facebook, texting, pictures/videos from your phone, etc. It just adds another layer of drama to a time that is already so full of drama.

Cambria; Social media and the presence of cyber bullying was almost non-existent when I was a teen. I mean, we communicated via pagers! Bullying, while still very prevalent back then, was more along the lines of passed notes in class, whispers in the hall, face-to-face confrontations....but it was usually contained within the school or neighborhood. Cyber bullying today stays online forever and can reach soooo many more people. 

Karen: This social media/texting/FBing/tweeting/lack-of-face-to-face-interacting thing. Honestly, it makes me sad that teens rely so heavily on electronics (phones, computer, tablets, etc) for communication and entertainment. I've always been an "old soul" with old-fashioned beliefs, and it bothers me how the world is becoming more and more "disconnected" as technology takes over everything. (Ah, the tragic irony.)

I think many of today's teens are missing out on quality face-time and more genuine interactions because a good portion of their communication is via texts, FB wall posts, tweets, etc, instead of actually talking to their family and friends. Everyone is so busy on their cell phone, iPod, or whatever, that they don't interact with the people who are right there in the same room with them. It's disturbing when I see people out at dinner, or somewhere together, and no one is talking to each other because they're too absorbed with their phone. And don't even get me started on cyber bullying. I'm so glad that didn't exist when I was a teen.

Katy: Technology for sure. I'm actually really glad that I was a teen before Facebook and smart phones. It was a simpler time. :-)

Copil: When I was a teen, being a nerd was rough. You had to hide your Spock ears or risk being put in a locker. Now, nerds like Joss Whedon and J.J. Abrams rule the summer and Vin Diesel admits to playing D&D on film sets. Also, there were a shit-ton of dinosaurs back in my day.

Your turn!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved