Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Reasons to Reread

Mount St. TBR
I don't know about you, but at any given time I have a TBR list of books that more closely resembles a mountain than a mere pile. In fact, that's probably how I'll die—buried under my out of control TBR mountain. So, knowing that life is short and there is so little time to get to all the books I want to read before they inevitably take my life, rereading books becomes a bit of an issue.

I'm one of those people who not only loves reading books, I also love to collect them. I can think of few things greater than being surrounded by books. (Okay, maybe more than a few, but still.) If I have no intention of rereading them, they become little more than really pretty wall art or the bookish equivalent of a fort. (Which is kind of rad when you think about it.) I even have difficulty parting with books I wasn't over the moon about, because I like books that much. I worry that at some point I will have reached hoarder territory, which is a scary, scary thought. Sort of...

When there are books upon books already out that I still haven't read and books that have yet to come out that I will almost certainly read, why spend precious reading time on books that I've read once, twice, three times already? Here's why:

1)  Buffing up before a sequel.
As a confirmed bibliophile (it sounds worse than it is), I've always got a book or two on the go. With a year or more between books in a series, I'm usually filling that time with as many books as I can get my paws on. By the time the second or third instalment rolls around, I'm often very shaky on the details of the previous book(s). Time for a reread! I remember wanting to internet hug Veronica Roth when she posted a brief rundown of Divergent with massive spoiler warnings attached just prior to Insurgent's release. I wanted to scream: "See here? Here is someone who gets readers!" I know Epic Reads does this for certain titles as well. Most of the time I don't mind rereading in anticipation of a sequel, but it isn't always feasible.

2)  Sitting down with an old friend.
We all have those books that are truly a joy to revisit. The ones we pick up and reread every so often just because we love them so hard. I bet you're thinking of a handful of titles right now, aren't you? For me, this includes the Harry Potter series, Jane Eyre, The Hunger Games series, Divergent, Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door...among others. These books are in a league of their own. Whether I'll return to them isn't even a question, it's a foregone conclusion.

I may or may not reread all of the books on my shelves, but I like to at least think there's the possibility. Maybe one day I'll pick a volume off my shelf (more likely off the stacks and stacks boxing me in until I can barely move) and feel compelled to give it another read through and I'll remember all of the reasons I loved it and held onto it in the first place.

How do you feel about rereading books? Do you buff up before sequels? What books do you find yourself returning to time and time again?



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved