Monday, May 20, 2013

From the Vault :: From Secondary to the Spotlight


Every Monday, we post a reading/writing-related question for our followers, and at the end of the month, one lucky commenter is selected to choose a title from our Vault! Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome books... OR the monthly winner may select any one book to be ordered for them from the Book Depository

(To enter, please follow YA Confidential and make sure that your email address is linked to your comment in some way. We'll need to get in touch with you if you win.)

Today's question: Which secondary YA character would you like to see starring in his/her own novel?


Matt - Hmm. Connor from The Marbury Lens already got his own storyline, kind of, in Passenger, so I suppose other than him, I'd really love to read a book about Viola from THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO, by Patrick Ness. I'd love to discover how she came to be on Todd's world.

AlisonOne of the things I love about Miranda Kenneally's stories is that they're all companion novels (taking place about or around Hundred Oaks High) and that characters who were maybe even just a teensy part of a previous story get to star in Kenneally's next one. Case in point with Kate Kelly in THINGS I CAN'T FORGET—a story I recently read but probably will stick with me for a long time for many reasons. Kate was a very, very minor character in STEALING PARKER (which, btw, if you read TICF, you get to spend a lot of time with Parker and Will again!), but her story (and that of her crush Matt) is HUGE—thought-provoking, swoon-worthy, and well…it hit pretty close to home. ANYWAY, since I have an affinity for boy books and since I hearted Matt's younger brother within two pages of meeting him, I'm kinda hoping Kenneally stars Jeremiah Brown in his own story. I know he doesn't go to Hundred Oaks High, but well…that's an easy fix. SO—if you're reading this Miranda Kenneally, Jeremiah gets my vote for his own starring role!

Jaime - I want to read an entire book/series about Roar from UNDER THE NEVER SKY and THROUGH THE EVER NIGHT. He’s funny, charming, kickass, and an all-around great character.

Katy - I'm going with Giddon from Kristin Cashore's BITTERBLUE. I absolutely adore his character, particularly how patient, sweet, and loyal he is with Bitterblue. Also, he's an adult, so this thirty-something gal doesn't feel quite so crazy crushing on him. And, since I just finished reading QUINTANA OF CHARYN, I'll add that I'd most definitely read an entire book told from Lucian's point of view. Love him! 

Jessica - I would LOVE to read a book about Drew from THE SEA OF TRANQUILITY by Katja Millay. He was such a fully developed character, and I loved learning about all of the little nuances of his personality. I'd love to follow him on his own journey, especially on a journey of actually falling in love.  

Sara - Totally with Jessica for this one! Drew from THE SEA OF TRANQUILITY by Katja Millay. And for the exact same reasons.

Leigh - The secondary star. The show-stealer... hmm... *drums fingers on lips* I've been doing a LOT of critiquing lately, so the characters popping into my head aren't "out there" yet. :P Two books that are out -- UNDER THE DUSTY SKY (Brennan) and THE ONLY EXCEPTION (Vernon) -- have FAB secondary characters that I happen to know have books coming out about them soon... I'm not answering this one very well. Sorry. Drew. Yes, he's hot. Let's have more Drew! ;o)

Copil - In RAILSEA, the main character works on a "ship" that travels the railsea in hunt of moldywarpes and other fantastical creatures. The ship is captained by Abacat Naphi, a one-armed woman of deep complexity and singular focus. I'd really like to see more of her and the early adventures that made her the half-mad clockwork woman she is at the start of the story.

Erica - Nathaniel from Courtney Allison Moulton's ANGLEFIRE trilogy. I just adore Nathaniel as a character and I think him in his own book would be pretty fascinating.

CZ - CyFi from UNWIND has a good chance of landing his own novella, due to both his personality and the inheriant conflict that comes from possessing the temporal lobe of a kleptomaniac.

Your turn! Which secondary YA character would you like to see starring in his/her own novel?



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved