Monday, June 10, 2013

From the Vault - Summer Getaway


Every Monday, we post a reading/writing-related question for our followers, and at the end of the month, one lucky commenter is selected to choose a title from our Vault! Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome books... OR the monthly winner may select any one book to be ordered for them from the Book Depository

(To enter, please follow YA Confidential and make sure your email address is linked to your comment in some way. We'll need to get in touch with you if you win.)


Today's Question: To which story setting would you most want to travel for a summer getaway?

Matt - Any fictional setting? Like ever? Middle Earth is my first love, and during the fourth age there were probably some peaceful beaches, but I would really love to see Gallifrey, if we're talking all mediums. Just once, you know?

Jaime - There are many, but a recent favorite would have to be Henley, Maine in THIS IS WHAT HAPPY LOOKS LIKE. Everything about it screams perfect summer getaway. Close contenders would be two TV towns: Stars Hollow, CT from Gilmore Girls and Blue Bell, AL from Hart of Dixie (as cheesy as that show often is).

Jessica - Sarah Dessen's beach town of Colby! Summer and the beach just go together, and I love this quaint little beach town she's created. And I really love how characters in different books keep visiting Colby, so I can visit it, too!

Leigh - SUMMER getaway? Hmm... Paris is really hot in the summer, so not the setting from ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS--although I do want to visit Paris someday. Hmm... wow! This is unexpectedly hard! I guess... uhh... OK, I'm cheating. I'm looking at what everybody else wrote. Wait! We can do TV locations? Jamie said Stars Hollow! I want to go to Stars Hollow... But I guess I'll stick to the beach. I LURV Sarah Dessen, too, so Jessica & North Carolina FTW!

Alison -  So, if we're talking about setting in regards to time period, I would jet up my hot tub time machine and hang out with ELEANOR & PARK in the good ol' eighties. I don't know that I'd care to wear an Eleanor Phys Ed outfit (I don't remember those!), but the music and the wordage and the outfits and the hair? Totally there. But since I'm pretty certain we're chatting location, I would love to hang out with Karou (DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE). I mean, come on. It's PRAGUE. The Charles Bridge, the Poison Kitchen, the maze of streets that seem haunting yet beautiful. That place is definitely on my bucket list!
Alexandra - Clichéd as this answer may be, I want to go to Hogwarts!

Katy - I’d love to go to the Cousins, the sweet little beach town in Jenny Han’s THE SUMMER I TURNED PRETTY trilogy. It sounds warm and charming and like lots of fun--a perfect summer getaway!

Karen - It's been a few years since I read it, but I'd like to travel to wherever the summer court live in WICKED LOVELY. I remember lots of dancing, giggling, and some kind of yummy dizzying champagne (Sorry if it wasn't champagne--the details are hazy and I'm too lazy to go look it up in my copy.) But anwho, I remember thinking it sounded like carefree fun!

CopilI'd love to visit Un Lun Dun from China Miéville's novel of the same name. This is a magical place full of garbage can ninjas and smoke monsters. I love the idea of cities hidden within other cities. Harry Potter does it amazingly well but have you seen how crowded with Muggles that place is these days? Ugh, tourists.

Chihauaha Zero – I would like to travel to the city Nya in THE SHIFTER lives in--minus the oppression and rebellion, of course. I just remember liking the setting.

Erica - I would LOVE to travel to the world in which Libba Bray's A GREAT AND TERRIBLY BEAUTY is set in. It is not only set in my favorite time period, there also is the fantastical world as well.
Your turn! To which story setting would YOU most want to travel for a summer getaway?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved