Monday, June 17, 2013

From the Vault - What are your three?

Every Monday, we post a reading/writing-related question for our followers, and at the end of the month, one lucky commenter is selected to choose a title from our Vault! Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome books... OR the monthly winner may select any one book to be ordered for them from the Book Depository

(To enter, please follow YA Confidential and make sure your email address is linked to your comment in some way. We'll need to get in touch with you if you win.)


Today's Question: You’re stranded on a desert island – oh no! Which three novels would help you enjoy your time as a castaway?

MattCastaway? Castaway!?! Definitely not Lord of the Flies. Maybe Robinson Crusoe, or the Swiss Family Robinson, or whatever. One of those books that could teach you how to make shelter and stuff. Then ... I would need long, re-readable books. Maybe like The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett, or War and Peace, by Tolstoy. Or something longer.

Jaime - Ugh. Only three? 1) Well, since the Harry Potter books will never be one volume, I’ll choose my favorite (and second biggest) of the bunch: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire; 2) The Hunger Games because I’m not sure I’ll ever tire of it; and 3) Jane Eyre for the same reason as #2. I think War and Peace wouldn’t be a bad idea either because stranded on a desert isle is pretty much the only way I’d get through that one.

Jessica - Impossible question is impossible! How can I just pick three? Argh. Well, three books I've never tired of reading are The Great GatsbyCatcher in the Rye, and To Kill a Mockingbird. I'll just go with those three so I don't have to drive myself crazy thinking about this like it's a real thing I have to choose.

Leigh - omg. My husband always likes playing this game. But with everything--books, records, favorite celebrity chefs... *cough* I mean, books. Let's see. Something long, I guess. I'll go with the last three Harry Potter books. I've only read the first in the series, and hubs keeps telling me to just start with Goblet of Fire and finish. Only I guess in this case, it would be Order of the Phoenix and finish...

Alison - The Hunger Games (will need some action, adventure, and romance), The Great Gatsby (the best classic EVER), and the Bible (I'll probably be doing a lot of praying).

Alexandra - 1) an OMNIBUS of all seven Harry Potter novels. I don't care if that's cheating. ;) (Oh, fine, I pick book 5 if I must choose only one.) 2) Sabriel by Garth Nix 3) Maledicte by Lane Robbins

Katy – I’m going to piggyback off Alexandra’s choice and go with the entire Harry Potter series (it’s really just ONE story, right?) But if I had to pick one of the seven books, I’d go with the third – my favorite. I’d also takeKen Follett's The Pillars of the Earth, because it’s looooong and awesome, and Melina Marchetta's Jellicoe Road, because life without Jonah Griggs would be simply unbearable.
Erica - Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken, The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau, and Sea by Heidi R Kling - These are my favorite books currently and I just adore them. They are all very different from one another - one fantasy, one futuristic, and one contemp. The perfect blend to keep me going while I'm a castaway. 

Chihuahua Zero - I would go with The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, Unwind by Neil Shusterman, and I Am The Messenger by Marcus Zusak.

Copil - I'd start with one of the longest novels ever written, In Search of Lost Time by Proust. I'd hollow out that bad boy and make a canoe to get the hell of the island. Also, toilet paper. Next, I know I'm gonna catch grief for using this as one of my titles, but I'd bring the King James version of the Bible. A desert island would be the perfect opportunity to finally make my late, Catholic mom proud by reading it. Lastly, I'd probably take something funny, like some Douglas Adams, because the thought of spending the rest of my life celibate would be really depressing. 

Your turn! Which three novels would help you enjoy your time as a castaway?




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved