Monday, June 24, 2013

From the Vault

Every Monday, we post a reading/writing-related question for our followers, and at the end of the month, one lucky commenter is selected to choose a title from our Vault! Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome books... OR the monthly winner may select any one book to be ordered for them from the Book Depository

(To enter, please follow YA Confidential and make sure your email address is linked to your comment in some way. We'll need to get in touch with you if you win.)


(Norman Rockwell - Girl at Mirror - Cover illustration for
The Saturday Evening Post, March 6, 1954)

Today's Question – Which YA character reminds you most of yourself?

Matt - Probably Troy Stotts, from Ghost Medicine, by Andrew Smith. Everything that poor boy goes through mirrors my own life. But more importantly, he handles it much as I would have.

JaimeI thought and thought about this question, stared at my books for ages, and here’s my answer: All of them in some small way, none of them in any big way. I find tiny things in common with a good number of YA characters, but part of what I love so much about reading YA is the many diverse characters with whom I have very little in common. That’s what makes it so fun! It’s a great opportunity to experience an entirely different viewpoint, to walk in someone else’s shoes for a bit. Because you know what? Reading a character too similar to me would just be boring. :-)

Jessica - Allyson in Just One Day by Gayle Forman. It would take me too long to talk about all the ways I feel we're similar, but this character spoke to me in a way that few YA characters do. We share a lot of good qualities and bad qualities...and I definitely have a "Lulu" personality, too. 

Katy - Like Jess, I see a lot of myself in Just One Day's Allyson. Her way of thinking is similar to my own, and we made a lot of the same mistakes in that transitional high-school-to-college time. Jill from Sara Zarr's How to Save a Life is another character who reminds me of me. She can be cynical, she keeps her emotions inside, and she's slow to trust. But, she's also sensitive and super loyal. I hope that's me. :-) 

Leigh - Today's my birthday, so yeah, let's partay! Gonna party like it's my birthday! :o) Sorry--which YA character... hmm... I used to know the answer to this question, and now I've forgotten what it was. It's like the meaning of life. I dreamed the answer, but when I woke up, I couldn't remember what I dreamed. I'll say... I'll say... holee... jeez. Can I do TV here? How about movies? I'm suddenly feeling very Juno, "I don't know what kind of a girl I am." ;o) If I come up w/something better, I'll let you know! <3

Erica - I actually have never thought of this in regards to book characters - I have with movies. The character that Katherine Heigl always seems to play, the kind of uptight, control freak person is all totally me (wow that sounds kind of negative now). But I don't think I've found a character in YA who reminds me of myself yet - there are some that have parts though. I feel like Jennifer Echols's heroines are very spunky and not afraid to speak up for themselves, which reminds me of myself some. 

Your turn! Which YA character reminds you most of yourself?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved