Monday, August 5, 2013

From the Vault :: Inspire Us!

Every Monday, we post a reading/writing-related question for our followers, and at the end of the month, one lucky commenter is selected to choose a title from our Vault. Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome new releases... OR the monthly winner may select any one book to be ordered for him/her from the Book Depository

(To enter, please follow YA Confidential and make sure your email address is linked to your comment in some way. We'll need to get in touch with you if you win.)

Today's Question: What’s your favorite inspirational writing quote, and why?

Alison - I have two. Imagine that. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. (James Ellison, Finding Forrester)—helps to block out the inner editor as I write first drafts. And: You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you. (Ray Bradbury) No explanation. I think the quote speaks for itself. 


JaimeI don’t really have a favorite writing quote, but there are a few  that I really like. Here are a couple that speak to me: You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows that they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift. (The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern) I think this is every writer’s dream, what we all hope for deep down. And… I like this one because it’s so true in my case. I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I’m afraid of. (Joss Whedon)

Jessica - My favorite inspirational writing quote is: Don't be a writer, be writing. (William Faulkner) I think it's so easy to get caught up in the life of being a writer, especially online. Reading writing blogs, participating in twitter chats, making writing friends, going to conferences, etc. But building a life as a writer doesn't matter if you don't have the actual writing to back it up. The core of living the life of a writer is WRITING, and I sometimes need a reminder that that's why I'm here. That's what I need to focus on.

Karen - I just posted it on Facebook not too long ago. I love it because it's funny and so true. Writing is like giving yourself homework, really hard homework, every day, for the rest of your life. You want glamorous? Throw glitter at the computer screen. (Katrina Monroe)


Alexandra - Mine is a video from Stephen King. (0:50 is where the best part starts!)

Katy – Like Alison, I’ve got two. First: To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. (Joseph Chilton Pearce) And: Write hard and clear about what hurts. (Ernest Hemingway) They both inspire me to write fearlessly.

LeighJust Keep Swimming. (Dory, Finding Nemo) I mean, it's not really a "writing" quote per se, but a great group of writer-friends and I have been telling each other that for four years now, and well, it keeps me going. <3


Erica - It's sort of a mantra from a friend of mine, Joelle Charbonneau: Get to the end. That is the most important thing and generally it is what I use to keep going. I always want to edit everything to make it perfect, but I've come to realize that if I finish, I can fix small things later. There also is no point to fix every little detail, since depending on how things go, they may change completely.

Chihuahua ZeroIf there's a gun to my head, I'll just go with "write, read, and write". That's more like writing advice than inspiration though, but I don't really live by any particular quotes. 


Your turn... What’s your favorite inspirational writing quote, and why?





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved