Monday, August 12, 2013

From the Vault

Every Monday, we post a reading/writing-related question for our followers, and at the end of the month, one lucky commenter is selected to choose a title from our Vault. Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome new releases... OR the monthly winner may select any one book to be ordered for him/her from the Book Depository

(To enter, please follow YA Confidential and make sure your email address is linked to your comment in some way. We'll need to get in touch with you if you win.)


Today's question: What’s the last YA book that surprised you – in a good way?


Karen - Notes To Self by Avery Sawyer. This was a book I had downloaded for free and didn't know much about, but I read the first chapter and was totally hooked. I loved the writing, the emotions, the mystery, and the way the MC's relationships with everyone were presented. Her mental state and all she was experiencing (physically, mentally and emotionally) had me totally absorbed. I shed some serious tears on this one.

KatyAudrey, Wait! by Robin Benway. It came with stellar recommendations from some of my most trusted bookish friends, but everyone who loved it also claimed it was super funny. As a rule, I steer clear of “funny” books because I usually don’t end up finding them all that funny. But Audrey, Wait! is actually incredibly funny, and in a really natural, subtle, awesome way. Plus, it’s got one of the best contemporary YA voices I’ve read in a long time -- win.

Matt - Reality Boy by A.S. King. It's nothing like her other books, but still very powerful.

JessicaEverything Maggie Stiefvater writes surprises me in a good way. I've given up even reading the plot descriptions for her books, because I'm always like, "magical killer horses from the sea? No." Or, "What is this about psychics and a dead Welsh king and fast cars and...what?" Because I end up LOVING her books, always. It doesn't matter how out of my normal comfort zone they sound, or how much I'm convinced that they will not be up my alley. I end up devouring them, always.

Jaime - I picked up Jessi Kirby's Golden, expecting a fun, light contemporary. I never thought I would love it as much as I did or that it would resonate with me to the extent that it did. Definitely a pleasant surprise!

AlisonTaken by Erin Bowman. I honestly didn't know what to expect from this book. I knew it was dystopian and was hesitant to read simply because I've been suffering a little dystopian burn out lately. This book has renewed my love. Even though it reads a lot like The Hunger Games and Divergent (a very GOOD thing), it's a very fresh and fascinating take on a dystopian society with many page-turning twists. Bonus—it's from a male POV, and we all know how much Alison loves her boy books. The only thing I didn't like about reading TAKEN is the fact that I have to wait nine months now for Frozen.

Erica - The Collector by Victoria Scott. I was expecting to like it, but I wasn't expecting to absolutely LOVE it. Victoria Scott has a very casual style of writing which was offputting to me at first. Yet, as I went on reading, it grew on me and seemed to just work.

Chihuahua Zero - Ashfall by Mike Mullin. Both in terms of how vivid its post-Yellowstone-eruption world is, along with the occasional social lessons slipped in that are never heavy-handed. For a first novel, it's well written.

Your turn... What’s the last YA book that surprised you – in a good way? 






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved