Monday, September 16, 2013

From the Vault :: Give Us More!


Every Monday, we post a reading/writing-related question for our followers, and at the end of the month, one lucky commenter is selected to choose a title from our Vault. Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome new releases... OR the monthly winner may select any one book to be ordered for him/her from the Book Depository

(To enter, follow YA Confidential and make sure your email address is linked to your comment in some way. We'll need to get in touch with you if you win.)


Today's question: What’s one thing you’d like to see more of in YA?

Jessica - I don't think there is a lack of smart and original YA romance, necessarily, but that doesn't mean that I don't want more, more, more! That's one thing I will never, ever tire of. 

AlexandraThis is something I would like to see more of in adult as well as YA: I would love to see more fantasy worlds that didn't rely so heavily on sexism. With all the imagination it takes to create a new world and a magic system and a plot and characters, I don't see nearly enough reimagining of gender and gender dynamics.

Matt - Grit. Also more characters of color and LGTBQ.

Katy – I love stories with open-to-interpretation conclusions, and I think it’d be awesome to see more YA novels with ambiguous and/or bittersweet endings, like ELEANOR & PARK, NOBODY BUT US, and TIGER LILY. I love that Rainbow Rowell, Kristin Halbrook, and Jodi Lynn Anderson didn't tie their stories up with pretty bows, but instead left it up to their readers to absorb the happy AND the sad bits of their characters' lives. Also, like Jess mentioned, more ROMANCE!

Copil – Mexicans.

Alison - I just reread THE FAULT IN OUR STARS and was reminded of how refreshing it is to see GOOD parents in YA. So, yeah. More functional, caring, and semi-cool and clued-in parents. They do exist, believe it or not.

EricaI would love to see more historical fantasy. I absolutely love it and while there has been a few in the past few years, I never find there to be enough of it. 

Chihauaha Zero - I'd like to see more fantasy settings besides the typical European kind. Or even an Euro-esque one but from a different approach. Maybe by getting real specific with a certain region or mixing the Ottoman Empire into it?

Your turn... What’s one thing you’d like to see more of in YA? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved