Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Not-Quite-Scary Halloween Things

October poses quite a dilemma for me. On the one hand, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Halloween. I love carving pumpkins, dressing up, going to parties, and eating candy.

Exhibit A.
On the other hand, legitimately scary movies and books terrify me. I will not watch or read them. I have horrible nightmares for days afterwards, and jump at the slightest shadow or if my cat brushes my leg. So there are parts of Halloween that I never participate in!

So I've come up with my own lists of movies and books that are just the right amount of creepy without being overly terrifying. If you're at all like me, I hope you appreciate this. If you're the kind of person who can stomach true horror, I stand in awe of your unflappability. (Aside: I sat through the first two Saw movies and Amityville Horror. Terrible ideas. TERRIBLE IDEAS.)

Books:
This trilogy has walking corpses and necromancers who raise dead spirits. It also has great female leads and fantastic worldbuilding.

Swamps and evil creatures play just enough around the edges of this story. The hairs on the back of my neck raised a few times while reading it. But it's also gorgeously written and a fantastic read.

A world of night with creatures sitting in wait just off the lighted paths, and endless partying make this a rich and creepy book.

It came out well before faeries were a Big Thing (in...when was it, 2009?) and has some pretty gruesome characters who do some pretty horrific things. There's also a great creepy ambiance swirling through the whole book.

Movies:
The Johnny Depp version, of course. What else would I be talking about? This movie is eerie without being scary. And the cinematography (like I know what that is, ha) is gorgeous.

This list wouldn't be complete without Jack Skellington. I don't even think I need to say anything about this film. Listing it is enough.

Less creepy than most of the other things on this list, but the idea of magic and ghosts still has a Halloween feel. Plus, Edward Norton is an incredible actor.

Not particularly creepy until Tesla becomes involved in the plot, but all the tricks and secrets make this a great film.

Not scary at all, actually, so much as adorable. But, seriously, adorable zombies. What else would you watch on Halloween?


What did I forget? Do you like scary movies, or are you like me and would you rather watch something a little tamer? What are you dressing up as for Halloween?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved