Monday, November 4, 2013

From the Vault :: NaNoWriMo

Every Monday we post a reading/writing-related question for our followers, and at the end of the month, one lucky commenter is selected to choose a title from our Vault. Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome new releases... OR the monthly winner may select any one book to be ordered for him/her from the Book Depository

(To enter, follow YA Confidential and make sure your email address is linked to your comment in some way. We'll need to get in touch with you if you win.)


Today's Question: National Novel Writing Month is upon us. Are you participating? Have you in the past? What's your drafting style?
Jessica - I have participated in the past (I "won" in 2008 and 2010), but I'm not doing it this year. I have realized that the crazy drafting of NaNo just doesn't work for me, and it actually creates more work for me because I have to go back and rewrite everything. I think I work better writing in small chunks of chapters and then polishing them before I move on to the next chunk of chapters, and there is no time for that in NaNoWriMo. I love the team spirit of NaNo, though, and I'm a great NaNo cheerleader! 
Alexandra - I'm not doing NaNo this year, but I did it in 2011 and went over the 50k mark. My drafting style, regardless of the time of year, is pretty similar to doing NaNo. I write like crazy every free moment of every day until my draft is done, because I can't think about anything else. Usually I write the NaNo-required 1,667 words a day or more! It's exhilarating, but exhausting!
Matthew - No way. I'm not the kind of writer who can work like that. But I do love hearing about my friends' progress!
Alison - I am not participating this year and I have not officially in the past but plan to sometime in the future just to cross it off the bucket list. But hoo boy—while I think I could write 50K in a month, I don't know how good any of those words would actually be. I need at least three months to write a decent first draft. Instead, I'm using the energy and spirit of NaNoWriMo to revise—8 pages a day, five days a week. Hopefully I'll have a half a manuscript revised by the end of the month. 
Leigh - I've actually never done NaNo (I know!), but it's because we travel a LOT around Thanksgiving. But I am writing right now. As for my drafting style, it's a mixture of pants + plotting in that I'm constantly writing ahead in my notebook, and I have points that I know I'm going to hit. But how I get to them is more improvisational.
Copil - Not participating officially, although I was already into a project when Nano started and hope to finish it this month as well. So I'm there with you in spirit!!
Katy – Last year I participated in NaNo for the very first time, and I won! I enjoyed the fast pace and the enthusiastic spirit of my fellow participants. But this year, the timing’s all wrong. I just finished a draft last week (one that took me much longer than thirty days to write) and I don’t have the energy to dive into a brand new project. Instead, I plan to use NaNo’s energy to begin revising my project. Good luck to everyone who IS participating!
Sara - I'm not participating this year. I've done it twice. I've never won it, but I've still loved every second of trying. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I wrote -- NOT that I'm complaining, as my reason is that I've had a baby and she is taking up all of my time and it's the best time ever. :) But seeing all the NaNo excitement online has made me reeeeeally miss writing, so maybe that's how I'm participating this year... NaNo may get me to actually open and work on my WIP, at least a little bit.
Erica – I really wanted to participate in NaNoWriMo, but I do not think it is happening this year due to the intensity of my semester. As far as a drafting style, I try really hard to follow the mindset of "You can't edit a blank page". I am very much a perfectionist by nature, but when I draft, I try to get it all out the best I can, and go back to edit later.
Chihuahua Zero - Yes, third time's the charm. Normally, I would outline, but I jumped into this due to my writing muscles being stiff. It's a bit hard not knowing how to get to Point C when I don't even have Point A, but at least it's writing.
Your turn! Are you participating in NaNoWriMo? Have you in the past? Tell us about your drafting style!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved