Monday, January 27, 2014

From the Vault - Comfort Books


Every Monday we post a reading/writing-related question for our followers, and at the end of the month, one lucky commenter is selected to choose a title from our Vault. Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome new releases... OR the monthly winner may select any one book to be ordered for him/her from the Book Depository

(To enter, follow YA Confidential and make sure your email address is linked to your comment in some way. We'll need to get in touch with you if you win.)


Today's question: What’s your comfort book, the one you reread when times are tough?

Copil - NIGELLISSIMA: EASY ITALIAN-INSPIRED RECIPES by Nigella Lawson

Matthew - I don't really read to weather tough times, instead I drink cheap wine from a box, but when I was younger, I read THE LORD OF THE RINGS every spring, and it brought me no small comfort.

Jaime - I don’t really pick up and reread any particular book(s) for comfort, but I do turn to books in general to distract myself. There’s nothing quite like getting lost in a completely different world to take you out of yours for a bit. For this reason, I think I tend to migrate toward sci-fi and fantasy to help facilitate that escapism.

Katy - Jandy Nelson’s THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE is one I keep going back to. The writing and the angst and all those kisses -- so beautiful! Any of the HARRY POTTER books are great for rereads as well.

Tracey - I have nothing against deep, meaningful books that say great things about the world, but when I feel like crap I want the literary equivalent of an entire box of jellybeans with all of the black licorice ones removed. I’m not talking about fluffy books with poor character development or lame plots, but fast-paced and funny novels with romances that end up happily ever after. My favorite: AUDREY, WAIT! by Robin Benway. Which, by the way, happens to be one of my favorite books for any mood because of its hilarious voice and killer dialog.

Leigh - I usually pull down either a Sarah Dessen (THAT SUMMER is a fave), Deb Caletti (HONEY, BABY, SWEETHEART) or THE BEAN TREES (Kingsolver). THE BEAN TREES always makes me laugh... <3

Sarah - For me I have two comfort books: HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN (J.K. Rowling)(natch) and DRAGONSONG by Anne McCaffrey. I've read DRAGONSONG so many times that I've worn copies out and had to replace them. The only problem is, once I start reading it, then I want to read all the other Pern books and there are a lot of them. And PRISONER OF AZKABAN is either my favorite or second favorite Harry Potter book (#3 and #5 are tied for me).

Chihuahua Zero - Comfort book? Sorry, but I find that an album like Cermonials by Florence + the Machine is better for those tough times. Literature is more of a drawn-out burn to me, while music can bring me up in a shorter amount of time.

Your turn! What’s your comfort book, the one you reread when times are tough?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved