Friday, March 21, 2014

Real Teen Answers

Two weeks ago you asked the questions. And there were a LOT of great questions! Here's what our teens had to say in response… 

What's the best/most fun thing you did over February break? (If you had one) OR what's the most fun you had over a weekend
LEXIE: Can I cheat and say this weekend? I didn't have a February break, but the past three weekends I've had dance events.  Two weeks ago I had a showcase at my school, last week we had our first competition of the year, and this week I'm at a weekend-long dance convention, with competition and workshops.  There are hundreds of dancers here, famous choreographers and people from SYTYCD, and so so many cool things.  I'm dancing a total of like 15+ hours this weekend.  It's nuts, and kind of awesome.
GRACIE: I went skating with my friends on the river. It was an awesome time! 

LISSA: (I'm assuming the break mentioned is referring to March/spring break, so that's how I'm answering it) The most interesting thing I did this March/spring break was have my first driving lesson!!!! I've been qualified to practice for a while now, but have always been terrified of getting behind the wheel. I think the fact that most of my friends are driving now is what's pushed me to start trying, and I'm so excited that I did because driving was pretty cool, although deffo nerve-wracking. 

What kinds of fashions are most popular at your school? Do you dress in your own style? Are vintage, or vintage-style, wardrobes popular?

LEXIE: It's hard to pinpoint what specific "fashions" are popular at my school, seeing as there's about 4000 students.  I wouldn't say there's one particular style that's dominant; obviously some things are more popular than others, but in general, people just kind of do their own thing.  My "own style" is wearing leggings or sweater tights with thick, oversized sweaters every day.  High fashion indeed.

And vintage wardrobes are definitely popular, especially among the "artsier" teens, those interested in various art forms and photography.  They're all over the vintage.

GRACIE: Styles really mostly depend on the person. There's definitely a variety of styles. Skinny pants are still very much in. I don't really see a lot of vintage clothing, maybe on a few people here and there. Oh, scarves are very much in. All types of scarves, but mostly infinity (but also it is cold where I live so that probably influences the styles a lot).
 
LISSA: Vintage styles are making a comeback, for sure. At my school, there are two types of people: the lazy ones and those who have much more time and desire to put in an effort than others. Most people follow into the former category, although everybody has those days where they feel extra peppy in the morning and decide to go all out. For the most part, the clothes you see on the racks at popular teen stores are what everyone's wearing, although I do have many friends who love to sport the more expensive clothing. It really comes down to taste, I think. 

Do you have any particular likes or dislikes about book covers? Are there any covers that will make you not want to pick up a book, or hesitant to read it?

LEXIE: I don't have really specific tastes.  I just like it to be eye-catching, appealing, and at least relatively fitting for the book.  And I'm going to have to go with a classic and say that, yes, if I see a book with the typical "girl in a pretty dress in a dramatic pose" cover, unless it's a book I've already heard good things about, I'm likely to steer clear.

GRACIE: I really don't like faces. I'm okay with whole characters, but if it's just a face or head that's really close-up, ugh. I'd much prefer a cover that has some artwork or basic image that is a symbol that represents something within the book. Also I don't care how pretty book covers are, they must have relevance to the book content.

LISSA: I have become extremely picky about book covers featuring people on them because I get this impression that it's a really crappy paranormal book. Also, I don't like the half-cut-off faces or the white-washed ones, either. Honestly, though, my dislikes and likes are pretty standard with everyone else's.

Do you have a preference for paperback, hardcover, or e-books?

LEXIE: I much prefer real books to e-books, but as for paperback vs. hard cover, I don't have a really strong preference.  I just like my series to match, so if one of them is a paperback, I want them all to be. 

GRACIE: I don't care about hardcover vs paperback, whatever is available (or whatever's cheaper, really). As for ebooks... I can get along with them fine, and they're definitely more handy to take places and read in bed. But ebooks just miss a lot of the character of a printed book. One of things that make the feel of a book is the formatting and font and stuff like that that you lose with an ebook. 

LISSA: If paperback is available, that's the one I'm going for. Firstly: easier to store. Secondly: easier and more comfortable to read. 

Do you think it's distracting or old-fashioned when adult characters are called Mr./Mrs./Ms., or by first names, instead of Mom/Dad/John's father/etc.? I found out awhile ago that the style I grew up reading and use myself isn't so common anymore, but I like how it distinguishes adult characters from younger characters.

LEXIE: I'd say that, in general, I prefer when the parents are either "Mr./Mrs. ____" or "_____'s mother/father" unless they're a major character, just because referring to them by first name when they're not that familiar often makes it hard for me to remember who they are--I start thinking they're one of the kids.  

GRACIE: The thing is, young people don't necessarily call everyone older than them Mr/Mrs/etc. There are quite a few adults in my life, significantly older than me, that I just call by their first name because of their relationship to me. My friends' moms ask me to call them by their first name. It all depends on my relationship with a person (or just the nature of who the person is) whether I use a title with them or just use their first name. Although for most elderly people I use Mr/Mrs. Anyway, there are other ways that can be (and should be) being used to distinguish older and younger characters from each other.
LISSA: I have no preference, tbh. It really depends on the author's writing style, I think, because if you're writing a more structured or certain type of genre (ie historical fiction or gothic fiction) then using appropriate titles is almost expected. If you're writing a contemporary or paranormal, then I couldn't care less.
I have terrible dandruff. My parents noticed, so they bought me dandruff shampoo, and that helped for a while, but it keeps getting worse. At first I thought I wasn't washing it well enough, so I made sure to wash it thoroughly with shampoo and conditioner 2-3 times a week. Then I thought I wasn't rinsing all of the shampoo out, but I know I am now. What else can I do?
LEXIE: ...pray? And maybe consult a dermatologist, who might be slightly more educated in this matter than teenage writers?

GRACIE: Um, I don't know? See a doctor? Consult a hairdresser?

LISSA: It probably has much to do with the dry weather. Winter is always the worst time for these types of issues. Honestly, what I do in this situation is if different shampoos aren't working, maybe go see your doctor? You could also try blow drying your hair from a further distance than normal (i.e. about half your arm's length away from the root of your hair) because maybe then less dry heat will be applied to it. Also, I'd recommend cool air. *You should probably do some research into my recommendations because they might just be tips that work for me but might indeed make it worse for you.
 


Great answers, right?! Thanks to all our teens for their insightful answers and to you for all the awesome questions! I'll be back in a few weeks with a call for first pages! Stay tuned! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved