Monday, April 21, 2014

From the Vault :: On Craft...

Every Monday we post a reading/writing-related question for our followers, and at the end of the month, one lucky commenter is selected to choose a title from our Vault. Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome new releases... OR the monthly winner may select any one book to be ordered for him/her from the Book Depository

(To enter, follow YA Confidential and make sure your email address is linked to your comment in some way. We'll need to get in touch with you if you win.)

Today's Question... What’s your favorite craft/writing-how-to book?

Tracey - I love PLOT & STRUCTURE by James Scott Bell, which explains the basics of plot and how to grab readers’ attention and hold it.

Matthew - I'm currently reading STORY, by Robert McKee. Not sure if it's a favorite yet.

Leigh - I have to go all the way back to Stephen King's ON WRITING. It was the first craft book I ever read, and okay, the only one. (Because of my career background, I had human writing mentors.) Oh! Another I've heard great things about is SAVE THE CAT by Blake Snyder. Everybody loves that one! I want to read it because it has a cat in it. 

Sarah - I am a huge fan of Les Edgerton's HOOKED which is a book purely on how to write beginnings, and inciting incident placements. I can honestly say it completely changed how I opened my novels, for the better.

Jaime - Well, I’ll always love ON WRITING by Stephen King first and foremost. I started reading (and keep meaning to return to) SELF-EDITING FOR FICTION WRITERS (Renni Browne & Dave King), which I found extremely helpful, mainly because they provide such great examples. It’s basically that whole ‘show don’t tell’ thing at work!

Alison - SAVE THE CAT (Blake Snyder). My stories live by beat sheets. Helps with the synopsis writing too, btw. :-)

Katy – PLOT AND STRUCTURE and SAVE THE CAT, definitely. Also, I recently read STEAL LIKE AN ARTIST by Austin Kleon and I loved its tips and advice on creativity.

Your turn! What’s your favorite craft/writing-how-to book? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved