Monday, April 7, 2014

From the Vault

Every Monday we post a reading/writing-related question for our followers, and at the end of the month, one lucky commenter is selected to choose a title from our Vault. Whatever we have available: ARCs, signed books, awesome new releases... OR the monthly winner may select any one book to be ordered for him/her from the Book Depository

(To enter, follow YA Confidential and make sure your email address is linked to your comment in some way. We'll need to get in touch with you if you win.)

Today's Question :: What are your must-haves for a productive writing session? Cozy chair? The perfect tunes? Freshly brewed coffee? A new notebook? Tell us!



Tracey - All I really need are my laptop and a glass of water. But what really makes a writing session productive for me is knowing ahead of time what I plan to write. I’m not talking about a hard outline, but an idea of a scene. I let it play out in my mind like a movie before I start writing, and it helps me avoid staring at a blank page.

Matthew - I can write just about anywhere, but only because I have to. No other choice these days!

Leigh - A solid scene idea. Usually I'll brainstorm a while (while I'm driving children, doing laundry, jogging, pretending to sleep) until I have all the details worked out. Then once it's "brewed," I sit down and Bam!  And a comfy chair helps.

Sarah - I'm pretty easy going. I need to have a computer of some kind, because I don't like to handwrite (outside of notes and outlines and that junk) and that's pretty much it. I prefer to write on my desktop, but I can sit on the couch and write in front of the TV if needed. Water is nice to have on hand, though, because I get thirsty.

Jaime - I need a clear idea of what I hope to accomplish during that session. Whether it’s revising a particularly obnoxious chapter or writing X amount of words, I need some kind of game plan or I just flounder. And by ‘flounder’ I mean do the social media circuit over and over and over again. Oh, and I need an uncluttered work environment, otherwise I’m too distracted. [see: flounder] A cup of tea and a good WiP playlist certainly help too!

Alison - Coffee. Lots of it. Also, I usually start my morning with a to-do list of small goals and then tackle them. I enjoy checking things off!

Katy – I need a clear picture of where I’m going with whatever scene/chapter I’m working on. If I’m home, I need my comfy recliner and Crystal Light, and if I’m at Starbucks, I need music to drown out the world’s loudest baristas and a skinny caramel latte. Very specific.

Your turn! What are your must-haves for a productive writing session?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved